Suicides

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Chrissy Cross, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry to read that about your daughter, @Gloria Mitchell ...so happy she pulled through and hope she's in a better state of mind. Sometimes depression lasts forever and sometimes it's just over the loss of a girlfriend as in the boy I knew.

You're right about last minute though usually...unlike Kate Spade, most don't leave notes.. I wish the did so yo understand the why.

Sometimes it's obvious but most times they hid their dark side and everyone thinks they were happy.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

bourdain.jpg
    True or false? So far, I haven't found anything arguing that it is fake, and there is a Twitter account of it.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska
    My father in law, born in Poland, removed from his home by Nazi Troops and taken to work the fields in Germany in his late teens, same for his fiance, they married after the war ended, having 3 children, the first-born of which, a daughter born in 1947, I married after the family came to the U.S. in 1963. He had the best living here of his entire life, had a car the very first time, both had good jobs, security, good health, should have had utter happiness. On Oct. 22, 1967 he took my wife's mother's life, then his own. Extremely difficult to understand the reasoning, or lack of it.
    Frank

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Well, I feel better that I am not the only one who had never heard of this guy before. But I never ever watch cooking shows , or CNN, and seldom even watch television in any case; so I guess there is no reason that I would have heard of him before.
    If he was on the Clinton’s bad list, then maybe things were not as straightforward as they seem to be. He would not be the first of the Clinton associates who had unexpectedly committed suicide.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

That is truly tragic.

Maryt Hope and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Unfortunate part was, he had threatened to kill himself for years. Family shrugged it off, until then. Pre-meditated? Cleaning out their apartment we discovered things which astounded my wife, then just 20. He had a brother in Poland, whom none of the kids had ever met, maybe not his wife either. Receipts were found for household things he had shipped to the brother, a typewriter, for example. Obsessed with keys, his maintenance shop in the hospital where he worked had a locked cabinet on the wall. A key he had on his person when he died unlocked that cabinet, which had dozens upon dozens of keys hanging in it! I recognized one for a safe-deposit box. Under court order we opened it. It contained their two employer-provided life insurance policies and some more keys!

My Dad remarked, in Czech: "Tichay Blazen", (quiet madman).
    Frank

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are no definitive answers for the questions of why someone would end their life. I know nothing of K. Spade but the more I read, she was very focused and the same can be said for Bourdain and R. Williams. But, being focused, smart and determined doesn’t give any insight of what creates a suicidal person and I write “creates” because the human brain is geared for life and not death.

There is only one link between that of the suicidal person and one who chooses life that I can readily think of and it goes back to diet, Gaba (a major neurotransmitter) and the frontopolar cortex of the brain.
    Scientific American reported that a Canadian study group found that Gaba wasn’t as apparent in the cortex of suicidal people as it is in their counterparts. In short, GABA is the “slow down and think” neurotransmitter and helps level the playing field and without it, the choice of yes or no to suicide no longer becomes a choice but a command toward the negative result.

But, Anthony Bourdain was a chef and had great access to a fantastic diet! Yeah, but I have never yet met a chef who really ate healthy much less someone who is constantly on the go like Spade or Williams.
    Just a simple act of eating those foods rich in l-glutamine, a GABA building block, might have been all it would have taken to keep whatever depressive state those people were in, at bay and allow them time to seek some help with the roots of their problem.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Fake news, I was waiting to see who would post this stuff....I saw it reported as fake news yesterday.

He was a liberal but not that political...definitely not a threat to anyone. Hillary or Trump. He did say he'd like to poison Trump but I doubt Trump had him killed.

If you want to talk about conspiracies start a thread in that board....

Also, if you think everything that happens is a conspiracy I need a break again.

I just can't function or live my life with that mindset....sorry. I need to wake up and stay in a good mood.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm sorry for the outburst and I wish I would have phrased it differently but

My reaction is still the same...I need a break.

I actually enjoyed a conspiracy theory or two in my youth but now it's out of control and everything is a conspiracy

That way of thinking depresses and upsets me so I have to leave for awhile.

10. Ken Anderson

It was on-topic, and not presented as true. I asked the question and, if it pains you to answer it, you needn't have bothered. If there were a discussion of it, I would have moved it to a thread, but I am not going to start a new thread for a question that, without the ranting, could be answered "yes" or "no."

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, I sometimes get the same reaction from Chrissy. LOL

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Laugh all you want @Cody Fousnaugh but you're famous for posting good byes and then coming back, and not just on here.

See ya in Colorado:)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, all I can think of to say is...….."oh well". And, have decided to move to Wyoming and not Colorado. How's that? :p

14. Ken Anderson

Let's go back to suicides now, please.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Awe, come on Ken, Chrissy and I have fun doing this. At least she isn't talking about moving to Maine. Anyway, back to the topic.