Sugarless Jellies, Jams, Preserves

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Okay guys. My diabetes has gotten out of hand. While I was in the hospital recentlly with pineeumonia They were also treating my diabetes with insullin shots. At one time in the recent past I was diabetes free because I was was eating healthy. I don't know what happened, a cup of ice cream hear, a bit of chocolate there, first thing I know I'm backon sugar and did't even realize it. Seriously.

I'm craving sweets. What I'm looking for is a great sugarless jam, preserves or jelly that will satisy my sweet tooth and go down good with a hot buttered biscuit. Somebody should know where an exceptional great taste is lurking on somebody's shelf, just waiting. Maybe something you, yourself have tried. I've got to get off sugar and I'm going to fight this battle but I've got other battles too. Strawberry would be my favorite. Appreciate your help.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Smucker's Simply Fruit. There are other "fruit spreads" that are fruit juice sweetened. I wonder how they actually compare with jams and jellies made with sugar for diabetics and sugar levels. I have bought the Smucker's one and it was good.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hope you can get that back under control again soon, Bill. I am not diabetic but my wife is, and I know how easy it can be to let it creep up again.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Boy, I haven't purchased jelly or jam in years--we usually make our own. If you have the ability to make you own, try using a low-methoxyl pectin (made from citrus instead of apples). It doesn't need sugar to activate--uses calcium chloride instead--then you can add artificial sweetener, stevia, or whatever to your taste. I really hope and pray that you and your wife get your health problems under control.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The way we make sugarless jam is pretty easy, if you have fresh fruit. When we have any kind of fruit left over that is starting to wither and not good for simply eating like it was when it was fresh, I make a small jar of refrigerator jam.
    To make this , you will need a packet of sugar-free jello, the fruit, and I also add some chia seeds (but this is not necessary).
    I cook the fruit and mash it if necessary, then add in the packet of jello, and then put it in a jar to cool.
    Sometimes, I put the fruit in the blender first.
    I did that with the grapes that I made jam out of . The chia seeds add more protein and minerals, and also help the jam to thicken , because they will expand and soak up the liquid from the fruit.
    You can also make a fresh fruit jam just by blending the fruit until smooth, and then adding enough chia seeds to thicken it,

Don Alaska likes this.