Study Of End Times, Russia And China Part?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter called me this morni9ng after watching news and ask my opinion on this alignment.

How do you understand this verse?

Russia has asked China for weapons and financial aid following its invasion of Ukraine, according to reports.

The White House is said to be concerned Beijing may undermine western efforts to help Ukrainian forces defend their country, according to several US officials who spoke to the Financial Times and The Washington Post.

The officials refused to disclose what kind of military equipment or

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

Who or what are Gog and Magog?
    Gog and Magog are two names in the Bible that refer either to a person, Magog the grandson of Noah (Genesis 10), or Magog, the person that comes from the nation of Gog (Ezekiel 38—39), or to two hostile nations referred to as Gog and Magog (Revelation 20:7-8). It seems that these names were originally the names of concrete people and places, but came to represent Gentile nations that are hostile to the nation of Israel.

The name Magog was first and foremost the name of one of Noah's grands

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Map of migrations after Syrian captures may help tell us the story of who Gog and Magog is.

I'll have to refresh and refer back to my studies for my understanding which is only mine of course.

.[​IMG]

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Revelation 20:8
    and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth--Gog and Magog--to assemble them for battle. Their number is like the sand of the seashore.Genesis 10:2
    The sons of Japheth: Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras.Psalm 120:5
    Woe to me that I dwell in Meshech, that I live among the tents of Kedar!Ezekiel 27:13
    Javan, Tubal, and Meshech were your merchants. They exchanged slaves and bronze utensils for your merchandise.Ezekiel 32:26
    Meshech and Tubal are there with all their multitudes, with their graves all around them. All of them are uncircumcised, slain by the sword, because they spread their terror in the land of the living.Ezekiel 38:1
    And the word of the LORD came to me, saying,Ezekiel 38:3
    and declare that this is what the Lord GOD says: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal.
    Ezekiel 2:1
    And he said unto me, Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I will speak unto thee.

Ezekiel 39:1
    Therefore, thou son of man, prophesy against Gog, and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:

set

Ezekiel 6:2
    Son of man, set thy face toward the mountains of Israel, and prophesy against them,

Ezekiel 20:46
    Son of man, set thy face toward the south, and drop thy word toward the south, and prophesy against the forest of the south field;

Ezekiel 25:2
    Son of man, set thy face against the Ammonites, and prophesy against them;

Gog.

Revelation 20:8,9
    And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea…

Magog

Genesis 10:2
    The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

1 Chronicles 1:5
    The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

the chief prince of.

Ezekiel 27:13
    Javan, Tubal, and Meshech, they were thy merchants: they traded the persons of men and vessels of brass in thy market.

Ezekiel 32:26
    There is Meshech, Tubal, and all her multitude: her graves are round about him: all of them uncircumcised, slain by the sword, though they caused their terror in the land of the living.

Isaiah 66:19
    And I will set a sign among them, and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, to Tubal, and Javan, to the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles.

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
    (2) Gog, the land of Magog.--"Magog" is mentioned in Genesis 10:2 (1Chronicles 1:5) in connection with Gomer (the Cimmerians) and Madai (the Medes), as the name of a people descended from Japhet. Early Jewish tradition, adopted by Josephus and St. Jerome, identifies them with the Scythians; and this view has seemed probable to nearly all modern expositors. But the name of Scythians must be understood rather in a geographical than in a strictly ethnological sense, of the tribes living north of the Caucasus. Driven from their original home by the Massagetae, they had poured down upon Asia Minor and Syria shortly before the time of Ezekiel, and had advanced even as far as Egypt. They took Sardis (B.C. 629), spread themselves in Media (B.C. 624), were bribed off from Egypt by Psammeticus, and were finally driven back (B.C. 596), leaving their name as a terror to the whole eastern world for their fierce skill in war, their cruelty, and rapacity. It was probably the memory of their recent disastrous inroads that led Ezekiel to the selection of their name as the representative of the powers hostile to the Church of God.
    The name Gog occurs only in connection with Magog, except in 1Chronicles 5:4, as the name of an otherwise unknown Reubenite. It is also the reading of the Samaritan and Septuagint in Numbers 24:7 for Agag. It has generally been supposed that Ezekiel here formed the name from Magog by dropping the first syllable, which was thought to mean simply place or land; but an Assyrian inscription has been discovered, in which Ga-a-gi is mentioned as a chief of the Saka (Scythians), and Mr. Geo. Smith ("Hist. of Assurbanipal") identifies this name with Gog. The text should be read, Gog, of the land of Magog.

The chief prince of Meshech and Tubal.--Rather, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal. Our version has followed St. Jerome in translating Rosh "chief," because formerly no people of that name was definitely known; but they are frequently mentioned by Arabic writers as a Scythian tribe dwelling in the Taurus, although the attempt to derive from them the name of Russian cannot be considered as sufficiently supported. In Revelation 20:8, Gog and Magog are both symbolic names of nations. For Meshech and Tubal see Note on Ezekiel 27:13. . . .

Pulpit Commentary
    Verse 2. - Set thy face against (or, toward) God. Although occurring in 1 Chronicles 5:4 as the name of a Reubenite, Gog was probably a title formed by Ezekiel himself from the word Magog, the syllable ma being treated as equivalent to "land." A similar freedom appears to have been exercised by the author of the Apocalypse, who out of Magog, here a territorial designation, makes a military power co-ordinate with Gog (Revelation 20:8). That Gog was not an actual person - though the name reminds one of that of the Lydian king Gyges, as it appears on the monuments, Gu-gu, Gu-ug-gu, aud of that of one Sa-gi, or Sa-agi, the ruler of another Eastern territory not yet identified (see Schrader, 'Die Keilinschriften und dos Alto Testament,' p. 427; and comp. 'Records of the Past,' first series, vol. 9:46) - but an ideal character, must be held as proved by the composite structure of his army, which was drawn from the four comers of the globe, as well as by the highly imaginative texture of the whole prophecy, which, as Hengstenberg properly remarks, has a thoroughly "utopian [perhaps better, 'ideal'] character," showing that it moves "in the region of holy fancy." The words, the land of Magog, are not, with Havernick, Ewald, and Smend, to be interpreted as the local or geographical terminus of the prediction, as if the word of God had said, "Set thy face toward Gog, toward the laud of Magog;" but, with the majority of expositors, as a territorial designation signifying that Gog was in or of the laud of Magog, which is here marked with the article, probably to identify it with the well-known Magog mentioned in Genesis 10:2, along with Tubal and Mesech as among the descendants of Japheth. From the circumstance that in the table of nations Magog stands between Gomer (the Cimmerians) and Madai (the Medians), and that Gomer appears in Gog's army, it has been not unreasonably concluded that to Ezekiel Magog represented a fierce Northern tribe, most likely, as Josephus ('Ant.,' 1:06. 1) asserts, the Scythians, whose territories lay upon the borders Of the sea of Azov and in the Caucasus. Plumptre even thinks that, "placed as Ezekiel was, he may well have come into contact with these Scythian tribes, either as part of Nebuchadnezzar's army or by a journey on his part into the regions north of Ararat" ('Ezekiel: an Ideal Biography,' Expositor, vol. 8. p. 291, second series). Yet, could both of these hypotheses be established, it would not follow that Ezekiel was thinking merely, as Knobel and Gesenius suppose, of a future struggle which Israel should have to maintain against these genres Scythicas immanes et innumerabiles, as Jerome in his day described them. In addition to being named from his land, Gog is further distinguished by the peoples over whom he rules, Ezekiel styling him the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal - a translation adhered to by Hengstenberg, Ewald, and Smend; or, according to the LXX., which most expositors and the Revised Version follow, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal. The former rendering is obtained by interpreting נְשִׂיא רלֺאשׁ after the analogy of הַכֹּהֵן רלֺאשׁ, "chief priest," or "minister," in 1 Chronicles 27:5; and is supported by a similar use of the word rosh on coins under the government of the Persian satraps; yet the second rendering is not devoid of considerations that may be urged in its favor. Besides being grammatically possible, it yields a souse which is not improbable. Byzantine and Arabian writers of the tenth century were acquainted with a people called οἱ Ρῶς, who were Scythian mountaineers, dwelling north of the Taurus, on the shores of the Black Sea and on the banks of the Volga. The Koran speaks of a land of Ras not far from the Araxes. Whether either of these can be connected with present-day Russians, as Gesenius suggests - an hypothesis which Hengstenberg protests deals hardly with the poor Russians - must be left undecided. So must the question whether the people inquired after can be identified, as Delitzsch suggests, with the inhabitants of the land of Raseh (mat Ra-a-si) of the Inscriptions, which was Situated on the confines of Elam on the Tigris (see Schrader, 'Die Keilin-schriften und das Alto Testament,' p. 427; and comp. 'Records of the Past,' vol. 9. p. 84, 11. 122, 124). At the same time, Jerome's objection will scarcely hold good against understanding Resh as the name of a people, viz. that the Bible elsewhere has no knowledge of any such people, since, as Havernick observes, "one cannot know beforehand whether to Ezekiel, in his then place of abode, the knowledge of such a people was not likely sooner to come than to any Old Testament writer," and it is certain that the Book of Ezekiel is not wanting in names that occur only once, as e.g. Chilmad (Ezekiel 27:23) and Chub (Ezekiel 30:5). Hitzig points out that in Genesis 10, along with Mesech and Tubal, is mentioned a third nation, Tiras, which Yon Hammer has attempted to connect with Rosh; while Schroder sees in Rosh (allied to Ross, "horse") an indication that the people were equestrian in their habits, like the Scythians. The other peoples, Meshech and Tubal, were undoubtedly the Mosohians and Tibarenes, who, according to Herodotus (3:94; 7:78), dwelt south of the Black Sea.Parallel Commentaries ...
    Strong's 1121: A son

of

5. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery, you've given too much for most of us to digest easily, but I compliment you on your interest in eschatology. I've been studying it intently for the past 2 months, only to find myself more uncertain of my views than ever. It is a very complicated matter with great experts on all sides of the rapture, tribulation, millennial kingdom, and final battles prophesied in the Bible.

Besides the specific debate on whether Rosh means Russia or Chief, there is a more general debate of whether the future battle against Israel will be led by Russia and nearby Muslim nations, or just the Muslim nations - with Turkey, Iran, Syria, and others being in both camps. I personally haven't decided which view I favor and may have to settle for either option as a viable possibiity. In either case, I think it's prudent for believers to keep watch on these geopolitical events, respecting the likelihood that Russia and/or Islam are both eventual enemies of Israel, God, and all Christians worldwide. Let's hope China doesn't become their strong ally for any future battles.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

I have done very little Bible study in past 26 years.We were busy buying setting up property. I use to study it often.

I know the Israelites were captured by the Assyrians which is todays Syria if I recall. And were scattered and the Tribe of Dan was seafarer who sailed west and became the Rus, Vikings and most caucasian if what I studied was correct., but I'm forgetting much of it now.
    Where did the Ethiopians go from was it Egypt or N. Afrika? Arabs I think were mostly in Mesopotamia ?
    Correct me if some or all is wrong?

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I think if your a believer then the beast system is being set up. Also it is looking like America may be it, not saying it is but it did come up from the sea and out of the 7th empire Europe aka British Empire.
    We also rule the world. Yet now China is rising up so who knows?

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I just wish that Trump would still be President. He would have been pre-emptive and we would still be energy independent.
    But as far as Armagedon goes, I remember stories of people in the 1890's leaving all their worldly goods and going to mountain tops thinking it was the end of the world.
    The reason both sides backed off of nuclear war, the last time, I think, is it would have destroyed both sides. An EMP would make things darned uncomfortable but if people used their heads....

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

This the religious thread and so I thought I'd out up this subject. First of all in the 1890s Israel was not a nation which was one of the predictions of the end times. Israel didn't become a nation till 1948. Also most of the world wasn';t acting like Sodom and Gomorrah or Babylon. BHut right now I don't have time to debate this intense subject. Its spring and we have two dogs to train. Bur rhanks for your reply.:)

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Mary I wonder if anyone could have saved us. I am of the opinion 'which is opinion is all I have' ,that we have been doomed since 1913 and Eisenhower was our last hope and not real sure about him either..

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They are preparing for decades to send a very very very large force against Israel, but the ones who trust in the Creator already may know this and are not nervous nor afraid.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

If I recall correctly Israel will be the place of the last great battle,although some say this has already happened. Yet I haven't heard of or seen " the new Jerusalem coming down from heaven" ,

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

From my understanding of much study is the whole world will be at war during the end times. And this verse below seems to mention nuclear war,no other weapon but nukes could do such a thing.

Zech 14:12 .

The Destroyers of Jerusalem Destroyed
    …11People will live there, and never again will there be an utter destruction. So Jerusalem will dwell securely. 12And this will be the plague with which the LORD strikes all the peoples who have warred against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot while they stand on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths. 13On that day a great panic from the LORD will come upon them, so that each will seize the hand of another, and the hand of one will rise against the other.…

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

What a thought to! I saw this happen to pigs in a nuke test performed decades ago on tv.

The pig's flesh was gone before their skeletons hit the platform. Not a pretty site!

15. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A few years ago, around 2017, wwIII had already been begun..... I looked up the countries that were actively at war/ fighting internally or with other countries ---
    ALL were fighting , except ten countries in the world. And no sign that peace would prevail, not until Messiah Savior Jesus Returns, except for a false peace maybe - when a 'charismatic'/popular leader pretends to bring peace, even with apparent miracles, deceiving the whole world even more.

Marie Mallery likes this.