Strong Solar Cme's To Hit Earth Tonight

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The sun has unleashed three strong CME's (coronal mass ejections) and they have been traveling through space towards the earth and should reach here tonight.
    People who live in the northern states may be able to see the beautiful arrora borealis that they will produce. From the map, it looked to me like @Ken Anderson should be able to see it; so if you can see it, please let us know how it looks, Ken.
    I used to love going outside late at night to watch the Northern Lights (as we called them), and see the beautiful colors that they produced. I do not ms the idaho cold and snow; but I do miss seeing those beautiful lights !

Anyway, the CME could affect radio transmissions, and possibly the power grids if it is strong enough. Hopefully, it won't do that !
    Here is the article that shows where it will be visible, and explains how and why it happens.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ve-aurora-possible-problems-severe-storm.html

Allie Seay likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am not well versed in that science so I will just wait for news. But if there would be sparks and lights like the Aurora Borealis, that would be great although we are neat the equator and that is not probable. I remember the red moon last year, it was a hit here because not only astronomers waited. Since it was in the news, that red moon got viral in social media and the public had waited for the appearance. And you know what happened? There were clouds that covered the big red moon such that we were not able to get a clean shot with our camera.

I hope that interference in the radio transmission of that CME will not affect our cable tv. There's a good show tonight, hahahaaa, just joking.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

From the news information today, it looks like some of the solar storms have already hit us; but there is another one coming later today. If I was looking at the chart correctly; it looks like this one will be even stronger than the last ones.

Last night, we had an unexpected, fast-moving thunderstorm come through. It came from the north and went directly south; which is a very unusual weather pattern for us here. Most of the time, the winds and storms come from the west, and go across and either northerly or southerly. Sometimes, we have winds that come up from the Gulf area, and they usually progress in a northeasterly direction.
    Very seldom do we have anything that just comes from the north and goes straight south, except in the winter and we get one of those polar vortex cold snaps.
    I don't know if this had anything to do with the solar storms or not; but it sure brought a lot of lightning and thunder , along with the strong wind and rain, last night.

Here is the information on the incoming solar storm.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

So,~~~ Ken, have you seen any Northern Lights? If you do, please try to get pictures. I wish we could see them this far south.

Yvonne Smith likes this.