Quinoa

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Awakening to another feverish day, hungry nonetheless (as always!), I asked my wife about the bag of Quinoa she had frozen long ago-- perhaps a year or more. She no longer eats it, too much carbs, so retrieved it happily. I thawed it, small bowlful, added a Tbsp. brown sugar stirred in, a bit of milk, and a pat of butter on top. Harvested Quinoa looks like this:

[​IMG]

Similar to rice, slightly smaller grains, as bought the stuff is probably even harder than rice, but more nutritious.

[​IMG]
    Red Quinoa, cooked.

"Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa; (/ˈkiːnwɑː/ or /kɪˈnoʊ.ə/, from Quechua kinwa or kinuwa)[2] is a flowering plant in the amaranth family. It is a herbaceous annual plant grown as a grain crop primarily for its edible seeds. Quinoa is not a grass, but rather a pseudocereal botanically related to spinach and amaranth (Amaranthus spp.)." See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa#Nutritional_value

My breakfast:

[​IMG]

Neville Telen likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I use Quinoa a lot. It gives some substance to soup. Whatever kind of soup I am making, I often add some Quinoa to it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

The only thing quinoa is good for (imo) is the points it gets on a scrabble board :eek: hate the stuff

4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@May Benot
    Actually, now that you mention with dissenting opinion, and the fact that without support I might be bucking the Admin, I really didn't care for it as much as rice. I gave about half of it to the birds out back......
    Frank

5. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

Ah, but @Ken Anderson isn't posting as admin ... so should be okay?

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't eat Quinoa by itself or with butter, but it's great in soup.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Never tasted the stuff...I think it must be on Cajuns "do not mess with" list because I've never eaten it or seen it listed in any of our authenic Cajun recipes. :)

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have never tried quinoa, but it is supposed to be one of the healthiest seeds/grains that a person can eat because it is high protein and has an abundance of vitamins and minerals. Quinoa is considered to be one of the “ancient grains” and was eaten by the Incas thousands of years ago.
    It is actually in the amaranth family, and is related to a plant we call “lambsquarters” (which is considered a weed).
    I have eaten the greens from lambsquarters; but never harvested any of the seeds.
    It is relatively expensive for a grain, so I have never bought any quinoa, but I think that I would like to have some to add as a natural source of fiber.
    I have been experimenting with the flax/almond meal bread, and I think that maybe some quinoa would work in that, although I might have to grind it first.
    I think that it would be expensive to just eat it by the bowlful as a cereal.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4994/7-Benefits-of-Quinoa-The-Supergrain-of-the-Future.html

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive eaten quinoa a few times although it's not a regular part of my diet. It's okay tastewise, I hate rice so never eat that.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Maybe "hate" is too strong....I don't care for rice. :)

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I don’t much care for rice either, and if i eat it, I prefer brown rice. Sometimes, I will add some rice when I am roasting a chicken in the Ninja, and it is not bad that way, or in Spanish rice with tomatoes and green peppers and onion.
    I am trying to eat more of the natural foods that have fiber and minerals in them, and eat something because it is healthy for my body, and not just because something tastes good to me.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't think I e eaten rice since my husband died 14 yrs ago...he loved it and I made it a lot for him but I didn't eat it much then either.

I may have had some diet TV dinners that have a small amount of rice but I know I have never bought any since then.

I may be forgetting some years when I was with my ex but he was into low carb so I don't think we had rice then either.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Rice is definitely a staple for Cajuns. :) There is more than just cajun in me though because I prefer potatoes to rice any day.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I do love potatoes:)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Babs Hunt
    I just love whipped potatoes, well-laced with butter, skins left on. I microwave-bake them rather than boiling, which dumps good nutrients down the sink drain. Problem lately is, no potatoes in the house at all. Too many carbs.
    Frank

Babs Hunt likes this.