Strange Bread Crumbs

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Richard Paradon, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I just had a pizza for lunch and since I am not overly fond of crusts, I will usually dip them in Cesar Salad dressing and like them that way. (Perhaps the name of this thread shoud be "Strange Person!" I was thinking that perhaps instead of eating the crusts I could save them and when dry chop them up and use them for bread crumbs. I imagine that would work and give a recipe that calls for bread crumbs a new twist. Any ideas about this?

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like crust much either I give my crust to the birds and squirrels. I don't think I would like Cesar Salad dressing on my crust. But you like it that;s what is important.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Richard, I am SO with you on the Caesar dressing on pizza crusts ! It is delicious, and I also like them dipped in either plain or creamy Italian dressing, and in hot marinara if I have that. Of course, my dogs expect to have their share of hot pizza crusts; so I still have to share, and they do not like theirs dipped in Caesar dressing at all.
    As far as using it for bread crumbs; I don't see why that would not work, too. Since we share with the dogs, and if there happens to be any leftover, the squirrels and Mourning Doves love it; we have never had any to save for bread crumbs.
    The best bread pudding that I have ever eaten in my life was made by a restaurant that used up their leftover cinnamon rolls for the bread pudding; so re-purposing leftovers for things is an excellent idea.
    If you save some and turn it into bread crumbs (or even stuffing for a chicken), then let us know how it works out, please ?

4. Richard Paradon

Registered

I don't eat pizza that often so it will be a while but as soon as I have enough I will let you know for sure!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

Making bread crumbs from leftover pizza crust sounds like an excellant idea. If I ever have any leftover I will definitly try it out!! I can imagine fish being coated in them rather than the usual bread crumbs, flour, or corn meal. We always like to try different things at my house.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I love pizza crust! I just don't order the kind with fillings, like cheese, inside.

7. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Since the recipe for making pizza base (including the crust) is very similar to bread, I don't see why it should not be used as breadcrumbs when preparing another dish.

You could also try lightly frying cubes of pizza crust to make crutons for soup or for ceasar salad. Herbs and/or garlic could be added, depending on your preference.

8. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

I think Ruth is right. Pizza crusts would probably make excellent seasoned croutons and you already like them with dressing anyway, but I don't see why they wouldn't make fine crumbs as well once they've dried a bit. Unless they were very dense crusts to start with. Most times I make my own pizza and, while mine do have a crust, I try to keep it minimal. I spread my toppings as far out as I can and only form a small edge for crust.

9. Richard Paradon

Registered

Allie Seay likes this.
  10. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

I actually love pizza crust! The stuffed ones are divine too.
    @Richard Paradon
    Haha, I love croutons too... I always end up eating them before they can get put in soup. :)