Storm Forming In The Gulf

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Beth Gallagher, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Beth Gallagher I actually thought of you when I saw it heading more toward Texas than Florida. It was a thought of empathy, quickly followed with a 'glad it's not us'. :D

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I know what you mean, Bess. Since Hurricane Harvey in 2017 I think we should be exempt from storms for at least 10 years. :D

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My area under severe thunderstorm watch...much thundering happening right now.Wind higher.Kerping watch.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Are you on the coast, Gloria?

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

No....but we will get the rain and flooding that may come this way. We are about ,250...275 miles from the gulf coast. Hubby is from that area .

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

From the local TV weatherman... "Landfall is still projected east of us somewhere between Lake Charles, LA and New Orleans, LA as a Cat. 1 hurricane Saturday morning."

It's about 150 miles from Houston to Lake Charles, so we might get some rain from the storm.

8. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

People who aren't familiar with tropical storms don't take them seriously. They don't realize it is a lower grade hurricane that can produce a whole lot of rain, wind and tornadoes in a massive area. In the low lying areas, you can get lots of flooding and damage.

Those of us who have lived thru them......know. :D

9. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

At this time that storm will be passing right through Lafayette, Louisiana where we live. By the time it reaches us it should not have the intensity it will let loose on the coastal areas but if it drops enough heavy rain on us my middle daughter's home could flood again. She has all her furniture up on blocks and all her stuff in low cabinets, etc. packed up and put on "higher ground". She is prepared as she can be to maybe not lose everything this time if her home should flood again. As a Registered Nurse she has to be at her job all weekend while the storm is passing through in case they have to evacuate the Nursing Home she works for. My grandchildren are in Texas with their dad right now so they are safe from this storm. I pray their home will be safe from the flooding too. Praying for all those in the path of this storm.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, it's not going to affect northeastern Florida, aka Jacksonville, at all. People here aren't worried at all. Basically speaking, even when a hurricane, like Mathew, where the eye of the hurricane was only 50 miles offshore from Jax Beach, or Irma, which basically came right over Jacksonville, people here didn't worry about them. To most people here (Jacksonville), having a tropical storm or hurricane hit here isn't a really big deal. Then again, most young folks here, and that's mainly what Jacksonville is made up of, have the "No Fear" attitude.

The possibility of a hurricane or tropical storm hitting here is just a part of living here...……..and that doesn't seem to bother most folks. Bothers us, but the Senior population of Jacksonville is extremely small.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well to anyone who has had their home or businesses, etc. flooded because of a Tropical storm or hurricane...having another one come along and maybe do the same again...is a big deal. There's a very good chance this could happen to my daughter's home again this time around and no one who has experienced this wants to experience it again.

13. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh I grew up in Florida and it's just part of the deal. Then came 2018. I didn't prepare, nor was I concerned. Then, before it was all over, I can truly say it was one of the most scared I have ever been and I greatly lamented not evacuating.

14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The problem with occupying a city that is below sea level in many places. I hope the people fare well and evacuate if ordered/ advised. Don't go to the Superdome! That was a different mayor and goveernor though.