Storm Damage

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sheldon Scott, May 21, 2017.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Corn crop is flat on the ground after the storm came through. It was doing so good too. I hope it can recover. Rest of the garden seems to be okay.
    How is your garden?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Heartbreaking when all your work gets thumped by Mother Nature. Hopefully your corn crop will recover.

In my area the farmers cannot get crops in yet, simply too much rain and calling for more. Sad

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had that same storm come through here yesterday afternoon and for most of the night. I have not been out to check my tomatoes yet; but I guess I better get dressed and go look at everything and see what survived and what didn't.
    Bobby says you can prop the corn stalks back up and they will grow, @Sheldon Scott . I don't know if that is an option for you or not ?

Edit to add: I went out and looked, and all of my baby tomatoes are just fine, however one of the tomato cages looks like a car hit it. It is smashed sideways and bent over; but the little tomato growing underneath was not damaged at all. I will try to take a picture of the tomato cage before we bend it back into shape again.
    The wind must have blown a branch into the tomato cage, but the closest downed branch is quite a ways away. We were really getting a wind here for a while, and I wondered if we might be going to have a tornado, but none of the sirens were blowing. It must have taken out our electricity almost immediately.
    We had gone over to take the bed and mattress to Evelyn's apartment, and when we got back home, the wind was blowing like crazy, and the lights were out already.

Here is the tomato cage, and the little tomato looking just fine underneath it. Probably that cage saved its little life !
    IMG_0478.JPG

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I did prop them up Yvonne & Bobby. I had to crawl through the rows on my knees and straighten nearly every stalk.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.