Stores Charging Extra Because Of Change Shortage

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There was some hamburger chain a few years ago, Hardee’s I think, who advertised that everything was rounded out to the nickel. No more pennies.
    I think you’re right in that they could simply allow the computers to go to work and work things out where the product price plus the tax would come out to an even number.

In the long run, corporate America is really starting to remake society rather than serving society. A lot of stores have their own debit and credit card system and some stores have that little key chain preferred customer thingy and whether it’s by debit card or key chain thingy, they all sell our information to the highest bidder. If they didn’t make a ton out of selling information then there wouldn’t be so many companies trying to buy it and so many companies selling it.
    That, along with demanding debit only or stealing the change, it’s like they always have their thumbs on the weight scales.

Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I must have foreseen that. Ref. rounding out to the nickel.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well apparently the reality is that coins are in short supply and this is Kroger's short-term solution. If a person doesn't like it then they can shop elsewhere. They are not keeping your money or forcing you to donate anything against your will. As the article states, you can have the change credited to your loyalty card for use on a future purchase, donate it to charity, or use an alternate payment method. If those choices don't work for you, walk on by.

I can't recall paying for groceries with cash in years, so this isn't a ripple on my pond. When shopping in store, I always use a debit card to pay.

The thread title is incorrect; they are not "charging extra."

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We no longer shop at Krogers anymore, anyway; so to us, the issue is a moot one , as regards to Kroger.
    The larger issue, as I see it, is that they are slowly working towards a cashless society, and those people who are using cash and do not use a credit/debit card, are going to have worthless money.

Coins will always be worth something, just because they are made of metal, but when they refuse to take FRN’s, then those aren’t worth the paper it takes to print them (as the saying goes).

Everything goes in baby steps, and this is a baby step towards making money worthless.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

It bothers me that it is charged as a coin shortage.

If there is some sort of drive going on I am always asked if I want to round it up and make the donation.

Also .. are they doing this with all purchases regardless of how they are paid .. cash, check, credit card or gift card?

Something is fishy with that.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think just with cash payments.

Von Jones likes this.