Stock Market Crashing Today ?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My news alerts on the iPad have all been talking about how much the stock market has crashed already this morning.
    They said it was the worst that it has been since at least 2008, so that does not sound promising at all.
    There have been a lot of predictions about a total crash of the economy, but most of them are saying that it doesn't happen until the time of the Blood Moon on the 23rd of September.
    But that is also when Nibiru is supposed to arrive, as well as an asteroid or comet crashing into the earth, all on the same terrible day.
    Anyway, I have just been reading it all with the proverbial "grain of salt", and there is not a lot that I can do if any of that does happen, in any case.

Apparently, the Chinese economy has been falling really badly, and that is also pushing ours down even more.
    Time to stock up on rice and beans, and hold on to our hats, I guess?

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

When they show the stock market close on TV, no matter how bad it's done that day, there's always a bunch of people standing there, grinning like jackasses and clapping. I always wondered what they are so happy about.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Something happened in London today. There was an "incident" and trading was supposedly stopped on much of the market there. As far as I know, they have not made the incident public. I don't know if it was a hack or something else. Ironic that it happened on the anniversary of the 1987 crash in the U.S. market, wen the stock market here had the biggest dollar loss in its history.

Jerome Powell at the Fed announced indirectly that U.S. interest rates are going yet higher. That means mortgages, rents and the interest on the U.S. debt will be going yet higher also.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Was still working in brokerage firm when that crash happened in 1987. It was an ordeal with all the Sell orders coming through.. total panic in the wire room

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The market is down some 146 points now, not exactually a "crash" [IMO] it has been down much more in a day in the past ? And then recovered.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We'll have to see what happens next week. Eventually someone will notice the downward revisions to the economic numbers issued by the government, and see that the so-called "job numbers" actually reflect a growth in part-time employment, not full time jobs. It appears more banks are in trouble due to the commercial real estate mortgage issues. We'll just have to see what happens between now and the end of the year. October is a bad month for the U.S. equities market in general though.