Stimulus Eviction Moratorium

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't see rental property as being much different than any other business, and any real business needs to have more money coming in than it has going out or it is going to fail unless the taxpayers are forced to prop it up. In that case, it's not a real business. I can't see that a landlord should be required to let me live in his property for free any more than a grocery store should be required to give me free food, or a car rental company should have to let me use their cars without paying.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

In some circles, the word "landlord" elicits as visceral a reaction as the words "mother-in-law."

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

My first thought when I read the first post was that Cody sure spends a lot of time talking to the maintenance lady......

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s a little off topic but he, nor anyone else who listens to gossip realizes that they themselves are often the brunt of gossip by that same person.

Eviction proceedings like anything else dealing with another person’s life are private. I would wager that at least 50% of the time, the separation between a landlord and tenant go unnoticed by any legal agency nor the credit bureau and is purely between the landlord and tenant.
    In real life, stuff happens and most of the time when I have to evict someone they know why and understand that they either have to find a less expensive place to live or move back in with mama for a while.
    Unless there are drugs involved, the only one who knows why someone is being evicted is my wife and the actual owner of the property and that is as it should be.
    Even when I am called for a reference, I handle things as gently as I can unless of course, the x-tenant was dealing in drugs or something along that line.

The bottom line is that there isn’t one person on this forum that hasn’t run aground at some point in their life and to say that it went unnoticed is ludicrous because someone close to the situation has had a gossipy mouth.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Hoot Crawford likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

I literally lived in a storage space for a couple of weeks while I was saving up enough money for first and last month's rent and a security deposit.

Hoot Crawford and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Our maintenance girl told us yesterday that there are 5 resident apartments that management and complex owner is taking to court for eviction after this month and have a "pay up order" done on them. One resident has a very good job and still hasn't paid any rent in a number of months. Don't know how he's getting away with it, since he's working. He's suppose to show proof to manager that he can't pay rent.

There are now a total of 22 apartments that are either "Available" for move-in right now, or will be available in the next couple of months.

7. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

(perspective)

A landlord I knew and worked for for over a decade

did not raise his rental prices in his properties in thirty years. Oh, yes, his expenses rose like everyone else's did too,

but he was honest himself and believed in doing what is good and right , and his tenants loved him as a landlord though they rarely saw him.

Apparently also, over the last four or five decades, other landlords only looked at the bottom dollar - or rather how much they could squeeze out of property .... without regard to the well being of anyone else including tenants and children....

I also knew of grocery stores that a manager (with the authority to do so) would give food to someone whether an old customer they knew, or just someone hungry .... from the grocery stock, not just if it was due to be thrown out....

And I used to know ministers and teachers and fellow students and fellow members young and old
    who would "give" their truck or car to someone to use , sometimes even someone they had just met.....

sharing like this, in every area when someone needs something, that someone else has available to give or to loan ,

is in line with the Creator's Purpose, Instructions, and Plan for His people so to do ....

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh, I’m really beginning to dislike that maintenance girl of yours.
    Until an eviction is officially on the books it is NOT a part of public records and in some areas that information is only given out on a “need to know” basis.

Unless that person who is being evicted enlightened you as to the predicament they are in, you do not have the need to know.
    Let’s face it Cody......you’re nosy and the maintenance girl is a gossip. -

Edit: I was just thinking of the possibilities of why people do not pay their rent. One very viable reason might be that the maintenance is so shabby that the tenants do not want to pay rent until things get fixed.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sadly.

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Why sadly Jeff? I do not want to know anything about you except for what you are willing to give us and the same for everyone else.
    Your life should be as private as you wish it to be but unfortunately in this day and age of the internet, that isn’t possible... Now THAT’s what is sad to me.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bingo. That "maintenance girl" should be reported to management for gossiping about tenants. Of course, she's probably gossiping about Cody to other people, too. :rolleyes:

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

@Jeff Elohim, I agree but it's not sharing when it's mandated by the government, and I think there would be more actual sharing if not for government mandates.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, we are both, to a point "nosey", but that's us. All we asked her was "so how the complex doing?" and she replied. No name though. She is excellent at maintenance...............you read that right, excellent! In fact, she is so good, the new/upcoming owners, are going to keep her at a higher pay rate than she is making now.

Anyway, currently, she's not suppose to go into an apartment, unless the repair is somewhat of an emergency, as in water leak. Then again, she can basically "do what she wants", because she is the only maintenance person here. She knows and likes us a whole lot, sort of like a daughter. We ask and she answers..........most of the time. Or, she will say, "I can't talk about that", of which she has said that before to us.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Nope, or at least we seriously doubt it. And, it's not "gossip" that she is doing, it's just truth. If she doesn't say any names or apartment numbers, I don't see her doing anything wrong.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, but the Seniors we talked to at a local McDonalds, were talking about people they know...........and some of the discussion wasn't good about the people.

Isn't it a Seniors right to gossip?? At least that's what I've been told.