Stimulus Checks Arriving!

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Peter Renfro, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Your SIL must owe a bunch of taxes. Either that or have a hell of a retirement system. Her adjusted gross has to be 75K before her 1200 is reduced.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, she never had SS taken out of her salary, so...…...no SS when she became eligible for it. Second, she still has a Fed tax debt that she is still paying on, so……...

Not even my BIL (wife's brother) has got his stimulus money yet. But, he owed as well, due to the fact that, when he was working full-time, he was getting paid "under the table" and still is as a part-time employee.

3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I just got a letter from IRS today telling me that I'm getting some money.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My mother was a civil service employee which didn't pay into social security but after she medically retired as one she did work in retail and earned enough to be eligible for social security.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A lot of people work under the table but do not get nailed for unpaid taxes. Unless he signed a 1099 making him responsible for his own taxes, kept an over abundant bank account or was honest / weird enough to write in his total gross income on his tax return form, it’s pretty difficult for the government to track someone down for working on their own.

Now, about the Social Security, my wife paid very little into it due to the fact that she was a stay at home wife and mother but she still gets a social security check. It ain’t much, but it’s still a check.
    https://www.kiplinger.com/article/r...ome-parents-can-still-qualify-for-social.html

Now, it seems to me that if your sister in law worked for someone who didn’t take out the proper taxation and SS (plus matching) it’s time to sue the guy.

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

SIL chose not to have SS taken out of her teaching career, so there was no SS there for her to collect. I have an old famer buddy of mine, back in Indiana, that doesn't get SS either due to his career was running the family farm.

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Unless she was working during FDR’s administration when in the beginning of the FICA it was voluntary, an employer HAS to take out for SS.
    Just like Federal and State taxes, FICA deductions are not voluntary.

Either way, if they owe the iRS a bunch of change, according to what information I have found, they should still get a check.
    https://money.com/true-or-false-you-wont-get-a-stimulus-check-if-you-owe-money-to-the-irs/

Somebody been telling you a fib bro.......

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  8. Peter Renfro

Registered

If she worked for a government school,as in on a base,she could have been under the old CRS retirement. It was I think the early eighties when the federal government switched to FERS a much less generous system that depended on SS for one of the three legs.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember when I worked for a local government agency and I noticed on my paycheck that FICA was not deducted. I then became more familiar with the PERS (Public Employees Retirement System). I kind of didn't like that mainly being unfamiliar with it. After a trip to the library (no internet then) I found it being just another concept of retirement income.

I was at ease having found out the difference between PERS and Social Security (FICA).

Bobby Cole and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Cody didn’t write anything about working with the government as a teacher so I didn’t even think of FERS but alas, I do humbly apologize for missing the alternative retirement fund.

That written, should she not still be getting a retirement check of some sort or did someone drop the ball?

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe not. My understanding to be eligible for SS you have to have worked a minimum of 10 years with a company that pays into the - for lack of a better explanation - SS fund to be eligible for the traditional social security benefits for retirement.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Peter Renfro

Registered

You need 10 Quarters to be eligible, I was under FERS. I get Social Security, A pension check which I contributed to, and an annuity check. My annuity check from what was called the TSP,(401k equivalent) thrift savings account, towards the end off my career I was putting a total of 17% of my gross into it. the govt was matching up to 5%.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

To better clarify my response in #15 the 10 years doesn't have to be with one employer.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I looked at it but decided you meant 10 yrs accumulated with one or more employers so all is well Von.

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I know a retired EPA guy who swears that because of his annuity derived from an earlier government job he won’t get a check. I told him that it was my understanding that if a person made 100K (or something along those lines) that he might not but getting an annuity doesn’t disqualify him.
    The bottom line is that he’s going to check into it a little further.