Steve - Shoulder Surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow Kate... I'm over 75 and I am still covered with our health system..
    No need for private insurance in Canada as everything is covered by our system..

2. Steve North

Registered

Time is getting closer for my surgery.. Only 20 days away..
    The pain isn't getting worse however it is problematic enough..
    I am still taking those pain killers when necessary..

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Steve North

Registered

I think I spoke too fast.. Here I am at just after 5:30am and the pain woke me up from a deep sleep.. I took some pain killer (Oxycontin) pills and am on here till they start to work which should be in about 30 minutes..

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm going to see if a cortisone shot will help my left shoulder where I had rotator cuff surgery in March 2015. Have had an MRI since and it showed a very small tear and some osteoarthritis. If the shot works, then I won't have to continue taking ibuprofen daily.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The past few days my left shoulder has been hurting more than usual. I have a regular scheduled appt with my dr on July 26th and I'm going to mention my shoulder.

Nothing even kills the pain ...it's a dull kind of pain that makes me miserable all day...and night.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

At our age, it could be either or both partially torn tendon, arthritis. I read online that some folks, sitting in the front seat of a vehicle, can reach around and get something from the backseat and partially tear a tendon. A really small tear generally isn't noticeable, but a large-to-full tear definitely is. A cortisone shot is given to (hopefully) illuminate surgery, but that doesn't always happen. For me, my nagging/achy pain is daily, but some days worse than others, which is where the osteoarthritis plays a part.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

So far my pain isn't every day and today seems better so far so I'm going to be careful using that arm.

I never seem to remember what I did prior to it hurting but I usually do something or a combination of things.

I think it might have been bringing in the 36 bottles of water....I usually do it in steps but I was in a hurry and just picked it up from the trunk and took it straight into the house...then lifted it higher then I was holding it to put on the shelf.

It could also be that I'm too lazy to get a ladder or stepping stool and really stretch past what I'm capable of just to get something.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North
    How long does relieve from the pain last with use of Oxycontin? I wonder how Hydrocodone compares with it. I had it prescribed once after having a tooth extracted, and one tablet put me quickly to sleep. Never took another.
    Frank

9. Steve North

Registered

Frank..
    When I take my pain pills, they usually take about 30 minutes to start working.. They last up to 4 or 5 hours depending on the circumstances.. That Is when I take only one pill..
    When I take 2 pills, they seem to last longer as well as being more intensive with the pain killing..
    Bad and severe pain, I take 2........ just pain that is annoying and restrictive, I take 1 pill...
    Sometimes I will take one pill and after one hour if it isn't working fully, I will take another one...

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North
    Have you ever been concerned about the G.I. bleeding attributable to NSAIDS? That is my prime objection to pain moderators. Oxycontin I have not studied, and it may not be an NSAID. However, virtually all of the OTC meds I have come up with are. Given the choice to use non-NSAIDS, I likely will concede. For now, having no idea just how unbearable the pain from such affliction may become, I am still "fighting it". Given that, my wife points out that a year or so ago, I had much difficulty placing utensils up into the kitchen cabinet, overhead. The difficulty stemmed from pain, not stiffness. Currently, I hoist those stacks of bowls up there with but a slight grimace. Not really sure if pain tolerance has increased, or pain decreased.

Given my doggedness and hard-headedness, the inevitable 'big job" on one of our vehicles, transmission removal, or the like, will push me to the limit of acceptance of this old-age malady, but I likely will not "give in". I will try, and try, and expect to prevail. So damned determined am I.

Stupid and foolish, yes, I know. I always think of the fact that Asthma disables folks severely, and that Teddy Roosevelt, as a young man, doggedly fought it off with an almost superhuman regimen of forced exercise routine. Somehow, the story goes, he actually managed to regain pulmonary function adequately. Maybe bullshit, maybe fact. I've read it in several places over the years.
    Frankl

11. Steve North

Registered

Frank..
    As far as I know, Oxycontin is not an NSAIDS but an opioid which is a pill with narcotics ...
    It is just after 6:30am and I was sound asleep till the pain woke me up, so I took 2 pills and am waiting for results before I go back to sleep fro another few hours.. Sleep is vitally important..

I have been on Arthrotec for the past 20 years and was just recently switched to Meloxicam.. Now, they are anti-inflammatory and are considered NSAIDS .. I have had NO problems at all taking those pills.. The reason I was switched is because Meloxicam is supposed to be easier on the stomach
    , however I didn't have any issues with the Arthrotec.. They both seem to be doing their job in keeping down the inflammation in my joints.. My hip and shoulder problems are due to something else..

12. Steve North

Registered

I had my pre-op last week and I was told to STOP taking my anti-inflammatory pills for 10 days before surgery..
    I did that and am now not feeling that great.. It hurts in places I didn't know I had...
    I am limiting my painkillers as much as I can, but I still need them..
    I know the op is just a few days away, but I can't wait..
    The operation is Tuesday and if everything goes OK with no problems, I should be released from hospital on Friday..
    It will be quite the challenge trying to cope with my right arm in a sling for about 2 weeks.. I am right handed..
    I met with the physiotherapist and was told to come in, in the second week even if the staples are not out yet..

Well, so far so good as far as my health goes..
    My dear wife will come on here to let you how I am doing after I come home.. I don't think I will be able to type with only the left hand, but I will try..

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North
    I can't help but wonder what purpose is served by limiting pain killers, but who am I to disagree?

Best wishes to you from here for most favorable outcome!
    Frank

15. Steve North

Registered

Frank..
    I am limiting my pain killers because of a few reasons..
    They are very very constipation causing..
    I was told that they could be addictive to which I replied ....... so ???? If I have the pain, I will take them..
    My local doctor only gave me a prescription for 200 pills which I can get more by seeing him but that means an appointment to which at this time I don't feel like..
    I still have many left but am not taking them unless I really need them...
    My orthopedic doctor will prescribe more pills or maybe something else as a pain killer..

Meanwhile, I don't have pain as before.. I don't know why but the pain isn't as bad as it was a few weeks ago.. No explanation for that.. Maybe because I am not using my arm as much as I was..

Never the less, Tuesday morning it will be all over !!!!!!!