Steve - Shoulder Surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North
    A solid case to be presented to the nay-sayers, predominantly American, who belittle the Canadian system. I personally have been befuddled in the past regarding this, the claims made here of exhorbitant taxation in Canada, the extreme long wait for medical care, the loss of interpersonal involvement between doctor and patient.

By way of comparison, please bear in mind my hardheadedness, yesterday I "busted down" a failed tire off our vehicle, manually removed it from the rim, with difficulty of course (I have a manual tire-changing stand), ran and bought a replacement tire, mounted it, and could not get it to seat on the rim. It was likely stored flat, instead of on edge. Gave up (temporarily). This morning my shoulders, back, and neck hurt to the extent that I did not want to get up off the recliner (I sleep only on my back, sides, or in bed, impossible. I take no pain killers, by choice, though had I some of non-NSAID type, I most certainly would.

The wide-open and spread-out nature of our location predicates wheels. Our financial constraints predicate against paid for repair work. Thus, I struggle, relishing fruits for my painful labor. Arthritic pain presented, minimally, not very long ago. For my entire lifetime, I have been able to easily absorb the rigors of heavy labor: removal and replacement of automotive engines and transmissions, included. Lately, not so. I am discouraged, disheartened, but push on anyway. Teddy Roosevelt is said to have "overcome", perhaps I may, too.

Given assurance going "under the knife" would restore even 1/2 of my past physical ability, I would go for it. No such assurance is available, of course. Then, I consider my Sister and Brother in Law's best friend, in his 40s, undergoing shoulder surgery. He died on the table.
    Frank

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank..
    When I lived in Montreal, there was a neighbour down the road who had some dental work done in his mouth.. He developed an abscess in one of his back teeth and the dentist gave him the option of either a root canal or pulling it.. As it was a back tooth, he decided to have It pulled.. He was frozen as usual and the dentist then proceeded to extract the tooth.. As he was pulling it out, the man died in the dentists' chair..
    You can die from surgery as well as pulling a tooth..
    He was healthy, non smoker, and very physically fit..

My Father (who was in his 80's) was watching a baseball game on TV.. He loved to nibble on soda crackers with those individually wrapped sliced cheese folded in 4.. During the inning break, he went to the fridge to get more sliced cheese and as he was walking out of the kitchen, he tripped and fell down, hitting himself on the wall in the hallway.. He was taken to the hospital where X-Rays revealed a cracked hip bone.. He was too old to operate and too weak as he had just undergone treatment for Lymph node cancer to which he was in remission with.. He was bedridden till it would heal a bit.. Meanwhile, the cancer came back in the form of Leukemia which is in the blood.. He died in the hospital shortly after..
    Bottom line is .............. What did my father die of ???............. A PIECE OF CHEESE ......

I can go on and on, including how many women die at childbirth.. The fact someone died on the table during a shoulder operation isn't any different than those who died on the table from any other kind of operation..
    How many die in plane crashes?? Does that mean we shouldn't fly, drive, take a cruise, or even go on a train??

If a shoulder operation is necessary, well then a shoulder operation is what I will have...

Hedi Mitchell and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North
    And, of course, I, too, love cheese.....
    Frank

4. Steve North

Registered

My shoulder isn't getting any better.. Actually it is slowly getting worse in the area of pain and mobility..
    The weirdest thing is I still have the strength in the arm..
    I am taking the pain killers when necessary which is about once or twice a day, that's all..

I was wondering how I will cope with only a left arm for the first few weeks.. I am right handed and I don't use my left arm or hand very much, but I will have to learn how to cope..

I am already getting prepared with some items like shoes with Velcro instead of laces, pull-up pants instead of a belt, sleeveless tops, and so on..
    By the way.... I haven't worn my pants with a belt in many years.. I find I like suspenders much better.. Can't have those on my shoulder for some time..

Just a quick up date..............

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am sorry to hear that, Steve. Belts don't work well for me either, by the way.

6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North
    Thank you for the assessment. FWIW, a quick story about perseverance and difficult circumstance: my high school friend, Ron, had a most boisterous and likeable father. His Dad was a life-long employee of Cuneo Press in Chicago, which printed mainly catalogs. Before his parents-to-be had even met, his Dad, at age 19, working on a printing press which some fool activated just then, had his right hand drawn into the rollers; they amputated his hand and wrist. Of course, he would have had his favored hand at work, he was right-handed. Thus, at 19, he was forced to learn to write, do all the things previously right-handed, with his left hand. The point of all this? Ron's Dad, "Big Al", had a prosthesis which slipped over the remainder of his right forearm, having an artificial hand with fingers capable of gripping, that being brought about by his bending of the elbow appropriately.

I was shocked and amazed the first time we three shot pool. Big Al, gripping the cue stick with the fingers of the prosthesis, "blew away" any competitive shooters in the pool hall. This guy had overcome adversity of the first degree, met and married Ron's mother-to-be, she apparently not fearing a "one-armed" husband, and I have never failed to be impressed by that 19-year old's pluck.
    Frank

7. Steve North

Registered

Frank.. I know I will cope somehow but it is still concerning for me at this time..
    I won't be unable to use my right arm for long.. As soon as the staples come out which is at the 2 week mark I go into physiotherapy twice a week for about 6 months.. The sling comes off at that point (2 weeks) and I will slowly start to use my arm and especially my hand..
    I WILL HAVE TO COPE BUT THERE WILL BE NO PAIN ...

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North Having listened to you enduring the pain, etc. that you have been going through waiting for your surgery....I have no doubt in my mind that you will have no problem adapting to the things you have to deal with after the surgery...when the pain is gone and you will be able to live a better life once again.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Steve North

Registered

Babs...
    Are you aware that I have already had my left shoulder replaced in 2010 ???
    I know exactly what I am in for...

BEEN THERE ----- DONE THAT

Chrissy Cross and Babs Hunt like this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

And now you will have to do it again...hopefully when all is over with it will be so worth it all! :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Steve North

Registered

Absolutely anything to get rid of the pain will definitely be worth it..
    As it is now, there isn't any other choice but to replace the joint.. Bone on bone...
    I had a shot in December of last year which only lasted about 6 weeks.. The X-Rays show deterioration of the joint..

I sincerely wish there was another option, ....................... but there isn't....

12. Steve North

Registered

Well, here we are only one short month away from my scheduled surgery..
    Frankly, I can't wait.. if they would call me up tomorrow to tell me it will be done sooner, I would be very thankful..
    Meanwhile, the pain isn't getting any better at all..
    There are so many chores that should be done before I am incapacitated that I don't think I will get them all done..
    The thought I have is............ "What the Hell, life goes on" and it will just have to wait till next year..
    I am just about living on pain killers which help me for now..

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North ....we all pray and wish you a much needed and successful sugery..and safe return ❤!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Steve North

Registered

Thanks everyone.. I'm sure everything will go OK..
    I have 100% confidence in this doctor.. He did my left shoulder in October of 2010 and it is perfect.. No complains..
    Just for your information, my doctor's name is Doctor Graham Elder out of the Sault Ste. Marie hospital..

Ken Anderson and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Will be thinking of you @Steve North take care .
    In Australia they won't even operate on people any more if your over 75 ,or you have private insurance