Steve - Shoulder Surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know yet what the problem is so don't know about the shot. This is my first experience with anything medical except I did have an MRI in Hungary because I had a ganglion cyst on my right elbow. I took NSAIDS for about a year with that and it went away...this was 15 yrs ago.

I know you have to be still and that is what worries me...I'll give it a try...only thing I can do but I'm just a big baby when it comes to anything to do with tests or drs unless someone is there holding my hand and I don't have that now. :(

At least it's an open MRI but I'm not claustrophobic so that's not really the issue.

2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy..
    Would it help you if I was there to hold your hand ???
    Just ask and if I can, I will..................

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's very sweet of you @Steve North ....I'll imagine you there in spirit, might calm me down. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Steve North

Registered

Meanwhile it is now 4:00am and I am up..
    Can't fall back asleep after going to the bathroom..
    No pain to speak of..
    I;m doing my exercises daily as requested by the physio..

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Things sound like they are going fine, Steve. Actually, I'm up this morning at 5:45am, but might take a nap this afternoon. BTW, I'm scheduled for a cortisone shot in my left shoulder this coming week. Just can't seem to shake the nagging/achy pain I get in it daily. Perhaps the shot will work.

Good Luck in your recovery.

6. Steve North

Registered

Cody..
    My shot lasted 6 weeks and that's all..
    I sincerely hope that yours lasts much longer.. I felt absolutely NO pain getting the shot.. Immediately after the shot, start moving your arm and shoulder to let the liquid penetrate everywhere..

Good Luck !!!

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Steve North

Registered

Today, Tuesday I went for another session of physiotorture at the physiotherapist..
    She claims I am improving and I can now move my arm in certain positions that I couldn't do till now..
    Today is exactly one month since my operation and what an improvement in the past month..
    2 more weeks and I will most likely get the OK to start driving the car again.. Hopefully, I can also drive the tractor as well.. No lifting or straining, but just driving..
    I do my exercises each day and I take it very seriously as the difference between a good recovery and a great recovery is the amount of physio you get and the exercises you do..
    I am now chopping veggies and starting to cook a bit..
    Oh Yes..... The physiotherapist told me that I can start sleeping on my left side, not on the right just yet.. Just keep a pillow under my arm for support and go for it.. Till now, I have been sleeping only on my back which isn't very comfortable and I don't get a deep sleep..
    I was given more different exercises to do for the next few days.. Some are OK and some are painful.. They must be done regardless..

that's it for now and I am now using my right hand to type which makes it easier..

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Watch driving the tractor, or does it have power steering? Thing is, many of us, including myself, want to do to much to fast and end up regretting it. After I had my left rotator cuff surgery, being the fact that I'm right handed, I found out that there were certain things I could do that I couldn't when I had my right rotator cuff surgery. Bottom Line: Just take it easy, but you already know that.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL @ physiotorture, @Steve North . Good word.:D I am glad that you are getting better. You should be able to sleep better now that you can turn over.

11. Steve North

Registered

It is now just after 1:00am and I just took a pain killer.. The first one in several days..
    The reason I took one is because I went to sleep and tried sleeping on my left side.. The pain in my shoulder after a few minutes was something else.. I am now up waiting for the pill to start working..
    I guess it will be back to sleeping on my back again for now, anyway..

12. Steve North

Registered

A brief update..
    It is now 5 weeks today since my replacement.. I am now starting to take off the sling in the house during the day for a while.. Still no lifting or pulling or sideways movements, but I let my arm dangle to straighten it out and it feels good..
    I am now at the keyboard typing this and I am using both hands just as before however my right hand is on the base of the keyboard and I loosened up the strap on the sling to allow some slack to type.. I am using the mouse with my right hand for the first time..
    Still no pain even when I am doing my exercises.. I haven't taken a pain killer in a long time.. Can't remember the last one..
    I am cooking again but not lifting the heavy pots and pans.. Chopping and stirring and making, but no lifting..
    I have started to do some grocery shopping but not going through every aisle of the supermarket.. That's still a bit much..
    No driving of the car just yet..

Just a quick update on my condition...
    I feel like I am slowly getting there but there is still a long way to go before I am considered to be at the peak of the use of my arm..

13. Steve North

Registered

Had my homemaker come over today (Thursday) to give me a shower.. I get a homemaker 3 times a week to shower me, all paid by our healthcare system.. Believe me, in this summer heat I need a shower at least 3 times a week.. For now, there is no way I could do it myself however as time goes on, I am getting better, and soon I will be OK to shower on my own..
    I am now starting to do some cooking.. Made supper a few times and breakfast almost every day.. Made French Toast for breakfast yesterday.. A tuna casserole for supper last night and a BBQ the night before with a fresh salad using veggies from our garden.. The worst part about cooking is lifting the heavy pots and pans which I mustn't.
    Still NO driving as I am still in a sling for another week or so.. My physiotherapist will let me know when I can drive..That is something I really miss along with using my tractor.. It will come but I am inpatient to that.. Can't wait !!!

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just to let you know, Steve, not 100% sure the Cortisone Shot I got is working. Still have to take ibuprofen daily. Really doesn't look like the Undenatured Collagen II is working either. After 5 hours of taking a tablet, have to take the 800 mg ibuprofen that now can last me 24+ hours. So, guess the combo of the shot and ibuprofen is working. Just wish that I didn't have to take ibuprofen at all, but..........

15. Steve North

Registered

Cody..
    Glad you are getting relief from pain.. Anything that works is worth it..