Steve - Shoulder Surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

The pain I have now isn't from the shoulder replacement but from those staples that are pulling me..
    Can't wait till they come out in about 9 hours..

2. Steve North

Registered

THE STAPLES ARE OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There were just over 30 of them..
    I have a temporary bandage over the incision just till tomorrow..
    I have a homecare helper coming tomorrow to help me take a REAL shower.. The first in about 2 weeks..
    Its been only a few hours and already I feel the pulling has gone..
    Another step to recovery..

3. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Steve North

Registered

Well, its been almost 12hours since the staples came out and I haven't taken a pain killer at all..
    I can now say "NO PAIN" from my shoulder..
    however, it is starting to itch a bit which is better than pain.....

6. Steve North

Registered

Today I had a young nurse come in to help me shower.. She works for the local homecare organisation..
    That is the first real shower I had since 2 weeks.. I feel sanitized..

Since the staples came out, I have had no pain at all.. Haven't taken a pain killer pill.. There isn't any bandage over my incision either.. Open to heal..
    I am starting to get a bit of an itch around the incision which I can live with..

Tomorrow I am off to the physiotherapist for an evaluation and my first secession of many.. I will most likely be going twice a week for about 6 months.. This will be at the hospital in Espanola which is a 35 minuet drive from our house..

I find I am always tired and have lack of "get up and go", but I still keep on doing what I can around the house as much as possible..

I will let you know how the first physio went..

7. Steve North

Registered

Sorry but I owe all of you an apology... Its about the NO pain I mentioned before..
    I went to bed early to try to get a good night's sleep and after about 2 hours in bed the pain started to hit from nowhere and for no reason..
    I took 2 Oxycodone pills.. That is how bad the pain was..
    after about 30 minutes, the pain disappeared but then I was wide awake and couldn't get back to sleep..
    I decided rather than lie in bed without sleep, I came on here to kill some time till I get tired again..
    It is now almost 3:00am and I think it is time I go back to bed...
    Up early tomorrow to go to physio at noon..

Bye for now and I hope I can fall back asleep as I am tired..

8. Steve North

Registered

OK... A report from my first day at physiotherapy..
    To make a long story short, why don't I tell you how I feel after a torture session..

JUST LIKE A STEAM ROLLER WENT OVER ME .......

The physiotherapist was more concerned with the stiffness in the shoulder rather than the lack of strength.. She gave me some exercises to do at home and naturally I did them over there as well.. .... WOW !!! ... I can say it was quite the workout.. I go back again on Monday and we will try to create a schedule for twice a week right through the early fall..

Let me tell you that after the first physio, a coffee at MacDonald's tasted like gold..

Chrissy Cross and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, the beginning of physical therapy sessions can be pretty cruel. It was for me after my hip replacement and rotator cuff surgeries. From what I remember, the only other time I felt pain that bad was after I had surgery on my ankle and had to wait for another Demerol pain-killer shot.

10. Steve North

Registered

Well, here we are again at almost 3:00am and I can't sleep..
    I went to sleep around the 11:00pm mark and got up to go to the bathroom and I am having trouble falling back asleep, so I am on here till my eyes start to get heavy..

I haven't taken a pain killer pill in 2 days now.. There is some discomfort, but not pain.. My shoulder is starting to loosen up as it was very stiff since I am doing my exercises that the physio gave me to do.. Back on Monday for another session of physio and most likely on Friday.. Twice a week..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Steve North

Registered

Physio was as usual pretty torture like, but it did loosen up my stiffness in my shoulder a bit which is good..
    A group of new exercises for the next few days..

Up and it is only just after 5:00am.. Can't sleep so I came on here for a while till I get sleepy again..

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North Glad to hear you are past the surgery and working out the "kinks" in your shoulder...and hope it won't be long before you are sleeping well and able to enjoy your life once again. :)

13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North , you better do those exercises and get healed real quick. You are going to have to be shoveling snow in; what? six weeks? :D

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I was at a pain clinic yesterday ...my left shoulder and lately my left arm have been hurting and I don't have full range with the left arm. Stretching it out makes me say "ouch".

Have an X-ray scheduled for the 29th and an MRI is being scheduled. I'm panicking. I'm fidgety and can't stay still that long. :( When I told him I don't know if I can do the MRI he said "Jesus Christ...I thought Hungarians were strong, look at Zsa Zsa Gabor"

The dr was very weird but he has great reviews. He was a little Asian guy that reminded me of the Asian actor in Hangover. He was riding the halls on a scooter for a broken ankle....I thought it ironic that a pain dr was probably in pain.:)

I was anxious so I talked a lot and he kept saying Jesus Christ, I'm driving him nuts. Strange bedside manner...no?

I'm still sore today from all the positions he moved me in. Think he twisted my neck 360 degrees, lol.

If I can't even deal with the tests, doubt I would deal with a surgery like @Steve North had.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you thought about a Cortisone shot? I'm getting one in my left shoulder next week.

In order to find out what the problem is, if an X-ray won't show, the MRI is the only thing that will. Basically, at any age, panic can set in, but, of course, at our age and older, it can set in badly. If you do get the MRI, you will have to stay still during the process OR they will have to start the process all over again.

Bill Boggs and Chrissy Cross like this.