Step Father Driving Old Truck. My Ultimatum

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Kitty Carmel, May 14, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Yesterday I was on this forum and the phone rings. It's a woman at a hotel calling for my stepdad. His truck broke down. He is completely deaf. So of coarse I go there (have to work in the afternoon) He has the truck towed to his place.

Last summer he got rear ended and the car was totaled so he has been driving his 50+ year old pickup. My stepfather is 87. The truck started. He said something went wrong with the brakes. If he hits another care with that steel truck vs. how cars are made today, he could really hurt someone. I wanted him to get a car right away.

I have been on him to buy a new car but he thinks he's broke and he's not. I told him he is buying a car. He'll call today and if he refuses (of coarse I'm going with him if he wants) I'm going to tell him to call someone else if something goes wrong. He gets in a wreck and that's where his saving will go.

My offer: we look at cars on my next days off this week. He can take a week to think about what he wants to buy if he needs to but if he doesn't buy a care, don't call me next time.

It may sound harsh but he is causing me huge stress with this and other things, while my judgmental brother laughs his ass off because he is 3000 miles away. I'm exhausted enough with work and stress and don't need this. I can't help him if he refuses to help himself.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad you could "vent" your frustration out here on the Forum Kitty. There's a saying: "You can't teach old dogs new tricks." I hope that will not be the case here. :)

3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

One issue is that truck is dangerous for himself and others. It's something that should now be a hobby vehicle. Not the sole vehicle for someone his age. The tow truck driver said old cars were his hobby and of coarse he'd love to have a truck like that. That's who should have that truck now, some guy in his 30's.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It also could be that the truck and driving at his age is dangerous for himself and others. And trying to get used to driving a car after driving that truck all this time...might be dangerous too.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think 87 is getting a little scary to be driving anything in my opinion, especially if his hearing is also bad.

Yes, some can and still do drive but in general I don't think it's a good idea especially since he's had trouble with truck ...anything could go wrong with the truck or even with him....too scary, not only for him but others on the road with him.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I'm sorry to say, but he has become a burden to me. I always worried about my mother being one but my step father took care of her in the last year of her life. I never wanted responsibility for anyone. I never married or had kids, after growing up in that house I just wanted to be alone. So this is now what I'm stuck with as I even feel myself slowing down.

He had a car until late summer when he got rear ended. He is getting old to drive. He has no dementia but I don't know if he makes the best decisions. It's that old age brain frontal lobe issue. I also think he donates money. He gets a lot of stuff in the mail and he told me he bought some 500 raffle ticket once. I know his income and I think he should have more in savings. He has a nice retirement.

I just got of the phone with him and he agrees to buy a car. I couldn't sleep well last night with hurting legs after work and this stress.

I also told him if he hits someone with that steel truck, he'll get the sh** sued out of him. No competition between that truck and the way cars are built today.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's hard to carry a burden all by yourself at times Kitty. I hope your being able to vent here some helped lift a little stress off of you. And I'm really glad to hear he agreed to buy a car if that will lessen your stress too.