Statistics

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a Texan, and I don't know what a DOS attack is either. But then I'm not known as a techie either. I use to think it was a programming system.

OK, now one of you smart people start explaining please. Fess up, fess up right now. You know who you are!

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's explained in this post.

3. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks Ken. How can you tell where the attack is coming from? Couldn't they just use an anonymous proxy and be from any area?

4. Ken Anderson

I would like to thank everyone here for doing such a wonderful job of keeping this forum interesting. My other (web directory related) forum has been online for much longer than this one, has 250 members, but far fewer threads and messages, and I really enjoy coming here each day. Thanks.

Ina I. Wonder and Tom Locke like this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish more people would participate. I'm not one who uses lots of words but I try to think of something to say just to keep things going. If you see a post you like it's too easy to just click the 'LIKE' button and go on your way but it's much better to make a comment.

6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

One of the good things here is that we have a reasonable diversity of not only people, but subject matter as well. Too many forums (fora?) seem to get bogged down in a narrow channel, but that isn't a problem here.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been on all sorts of forums and chat rooms through the years, and truly believe that the ones that survive are the ones with people that have a common interest and good conversational skills. I agree, I look forward to when I can log onto this site because there are always good topics and interesting banter. I think of it as a static chat room since the conversations seem to be timeless. It takes work to get to this level and you should be proud of your efforts. I like that some controversial topics can be discussed without all of the hassle of trolldom. I think only once I saw some troll baiting and it was gone in a poof!

8. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

In my experience going through different forums, what makes people going away is the inability to discuss their topics of interests because there are not enough categories to express themselves.

Here we have some of the most common topics of discussion all people in our age range would like to talk about, and yet having in Ken a good admin willing to listen to our demands in case there wouldn't be a particular category, or pointing us at the right direction to know what category our comments belong in.

Even though there is no restriction to post anywhere even if we were wrong posting inside a non-related category. There are forums where you might get warned or your comments moved/deleted/merged if such a thing would happen.

So that there are many good reason to get people joining us, is matter to spread the word, Perhaps potential new forum members are not on Twitter or Facebook, but other type of online communities. Nonetheless I would use one of my Twitter business accounts to let people know about SeniorsOnly Club, my account with the biggest numbers of followers, because my personal account has just a few of them.

9. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, did you have a goal of how many people you would like to see on the forum to have a good selection of people and a good conversation going most of the time? I am from Ohio but I live in the Metro DC area.

10. Ken Anderson

No, I don't think there is any upper level, or a point where there would be too many. The topics and size of the forum can grow with the number of members.

11. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I like coming here. Even if sometimes I'm just lurking :p I really do like it, though. This may sound men, and I hope no one takes it that way, but I am so thrilled that it isn't filled with people younger than my own daughter.

12. Ken Anderson

That was the idea, not to talk about old stuff, necessarily, but to have a place where people can talk to others who may have had some of the same experiences they had, or are of similar age.

Jennifer Graves likes this.
  13. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I am so glad you came up with this idea! I was checking out diffrent forums a while back. There are so many new slang terms that I have never heard of in my life. But people kept using them anyway. I found out you can catfish people. It doesn't sound like my kind of party, lol

14. Ken Anderson

I'm not sure how you'd catfish someone. Does it have anything to do with bottom feeding?

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  15. Jennifer Graves

Registered

The general idea I got is if someone pretends they are someone else, and gets caught. I'm not sure which one, but of them is either a catfish, or got catfished. I can tell you this, though, that is way sillier than any terms I ever heard as a kid. Our slang at least made sense... sometimes.