Starting Over

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Chris Ladewig, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

Here I am at seventy three years old and getting ready to start another chapter in my life. It's kind of a long story but the jest of it is, family misunderstandings have made it necessary to make a new start. I will be moving to a new part of the country that I have never lived in before and where I have no friends or family. I will be buying a house and am looking forward to that.
    I have quit my job and am in hopes I won't need to work. I am looking forward to working in the yard and maybe having the flower garden I have always wanted but was always to busy to have. It is times like this though that I miss my other half. Any way I'm starting to ramble so I'll close this off. Wish me luck I'm off on another adventure.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Without prying, is this, overall, a good thing? I know that you're looking forward to buying the house and being able to work in the yard, because you've said that, but I'm guessing that family problems were not entirely what you had in mind. Anyhow, I am sorry that you had difficulties, and I understand that moving to a place where you don't know anyone can have both the good and the bad in it, as it might be exciting and scary a the same time. I've always liked moving but, at the same time, I didn't like leaving people behind. I hope things work out well for you, and I do wish you all the best. Please feel free to let us know about your new adventures.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. Chris Ladewig

Registered

I hope it's a good thing. I have moved many times but this is the first time I'll be going it alone. I like doing new things and meeting new people. Right now it's just the logistics of the move itself got me feeling a little frazzled.Sometimes family just sucks.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Chris I would like to second what wht Ken Anderon said because he said it well and the way I feel. Sometime family does suck and that is sad. Good luck to you, best wishes.

5. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

We did something like that about 20 years ago (1997) when we left Montreal and moved up to Northern Ontario..
    The difference is I had my wife with me which makes it completely different.. We were newly weds as we had just got married.. Our family wasn't in Montreal anyway, so we were not missing anything.. Our family is all over the world..
    We had just retired and wanted to leave the big city which was a concrete jungle and move somewhere very country like, so we found up here just perfect..
    We have NO regrets at all as we have the most peaceful life one can ever expect to have...
    We joined some organisations and made friends pretty quick..

Chris Ladewig likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chris Ladewig
    Chris, without (hopefully) intruding too deeply into your own personal affairs, I must say that the general trend of your OP is closely resembling of my own. Been down similar paths. IOW. If we can help, somehow, keep the feelings coming our way! Take your time. Slowly wins the game!
    Frank

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Believe us, even though our family situation isn't really bad, we/ve chosen, our last two moves, not to move back to where they are and are choosing the same thing again when we move from here. My family isn't the problem, because 99% of my immediate family are gone (deceased). It's my wife's family that we basically stay away from. We love them, but...........

And, without the current finances we get, we know our lifestyle will change somewhat drastically after moving, but we are fairly confident that we will handle it.

The replies you are getting are RIGHT. Need to talk, we are here.

Chris Ladewig and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

upload_2018-3-7_12-50-16.jpeg @Chris Ladewig :)
    I can associate with your situation had to move away due to family rift
    I found peace within me, which was a blessing - wishing the same for you :)

Chris Ladewig and Holly Saunders like this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Good Luck Chris...I hope it all goes well, and you find the peace and the life you're searching for... just a thought tho'...given all the social media etc these days, can any of us ever really escape toxic family?

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chris Ladewig ...sorry your in such a pickle. But the fact you enjoy meeting new people will help in your move and settling in.
    :)...I would need more time to make comments on Family;)

Chris Ladewig and Patsy Faye like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Moving is never an easy task, and especially when you have to completely leave one area and move somewhere else. If I remember right, you were in Tennessee originally.
    Having to move all by yourself is not an easy task either, I I would not want to have to do it, especially at my age, which is also 73.
    What part of the country are you going to be moving to when you move, and have you ever lived there before ? I know you said you haven’t lived there; but am wondering if you have at least been in that area at some point, or why you might have chosen it.

Bobby Cole and Chris Ladewig like this.
  12. Chris Ladewig

Registered

I am probably going to move to the Texas panhandle simply because that is where I can afford to buy. This will be my third big move. By that I mean cross country. I have my eye on a 3/1 3/4 stone sided home in a small town. If all works out I will be there by my birthday in April. I thought I was buying the place I'm in now by verbal contract with my brother. He was going to sign it over when it was paid for, but he kept refinancing taking out all the equity. Now after almost 20 years he's decided he's going to sell it to some one else. I've already paid what he bought it for twice over. The big hearted buzzard offered it to me for 10,000 over appraisal. So needless to say it's a no sale. I will be fine, like I said I'm more bewildered by getting there than going there. I'm grateful to you guys for the support and I thank you.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Texas is a good choice. I used to live in the Rio Grande Valley, which is not at all like the Panhandle but have been through there several times.

14. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope all works out. Please keep us updated.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

You do know your going to freeze your buns in winter and melt like a bad MnM in summer:D