Started Physical Therapy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sheldon Scott, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I started PT last Thursday. Going twice a week for I don't know how long. First session wasn't bad but I'm sure it will get more intense.

Ken Anderson and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

What are they working on? They fixed my frozen arm.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

What are you having done. Sheldon?

I have severe tendinitis in both my shoulders and I've been doing exercises at home using a video of physiotherapist exercises I found online, and although it's helped a little I feel I'll need to see a PT...but my out of pocket expenses are going to be very high.. so I've kinda been procrastinating

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Insurance covers mine because I had a dr referral. I do have a copay of $10 though which isn't much but does add up.

I'm nearing $200 in copays when I'm done. Had about 16 sessions so far.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

And your shoulder is doing better? How is your ROM (aka, Range of Motion)?

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

It's going to cost me around £50 or more for each 45 minute session CC

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have no idea what the going cost is because I don't see a bill but my sessions are 45 mins @Holly Saunders

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My shoulder hurts way less than it used to. I do have tendinitis but before therapy it was hurting all the time.

My ROM is perfect now stretching straight up and straight out...still can't go up my back as far as I can with my right arm but maybe I never will...can go to the the middle of my back.

Before therapy I couldn't even comb my hair into a high pony tail. Also couldnt close the car door with my left arm...had to reach over and do it with my right arm.

The exercises were basic....ones like on the video Holly posted somewhere.

I also got a few very good massages but that was only the first few times. :(

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I’ve read that Florida definitely isn’t the best place for arthritis sufferers to live. Continuous high humidity and low elevation is the culprit.

Where we live, in Jacksonville, elevation is only 17 feet and everyone in the U.S. knows what the humidity is like here.
    Where we are looking to move, the elevation is almost 6,000 feet and almost no humidity at all.

As for myself, I’m still looking for some help with the osteoarthritis I have in part of my shoulder socket. My surgeon should me the space it’s at on an x-ray. I have 100% ROM, so the rotator cuff surgery he done on the shoulder, went fine.
    This osteoarthritis gives me that achy-nagging pain on a daily basis. Doesn’t seriously hurt, but is annoying.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Absolutely CONGRATULATIONS for the improvement. I really love hearing about an improvement, especially in our age bracket.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Fresno is 375 ft elevation, we sit in a basin but humidity isn't bad, not as dry as Arizona but almost as hot.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks...I also need to do the exercise I can at home...keep those muscles stretched. I'm not too good about that though.

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

We're at 45m above sea level here.... so we do get quite humidity at times..not as bad as your Cody but still quite high.

I really love dry heat but even though here in the south is the hottest and driest part of the whole of the UK...we still don't have very much dry heat , even in the summer.. so it really plays havoc with the arthritic pain in my hands too...

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I was good at doing "home PT", until I got FROM back in the shoulder. When both my PT Therapist and surgeon released me, I stopped doing the "home" stuff.

Having any kind of arthritis, at any age, is tough, but in the Senior years, it really seems to be really tough. I'm trying to investigate and see how anyone in the area/town we are looking to move to, has/gets arthritis pain, but so far, nobody in that town is on the Relocation Forum that I'm part of.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Guess we will see, through a visit this summer for a week to the town, how our arthritis pain is. Obviously we wouldn't go there during the winter months, there's not much, if anything, to do (that's fun). We did very little during the winter months when we lived south of Denver in Parker.