Starbucks Adding Olive Oil To Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joy Martin, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

For starters I don't like Starbucks coffee, so don't drink it.

I've been adding a splash of OO to my daily cup of coffee now for some yrs. Or use Coconut Oil dash some days.

Here is some history on Coffee and from Italy.

https://stories.starbucks.com/storie...ato-olive-oil/

More on Starbucks history:

Cancer Warning and Starbucks coffee and others

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/starbuc...en-acrylamide/

My friend was warned by her doc yrs ago to steer clear of Starbucks due to cancer warnings and the coffee process...my friend drank it all the time, brewed it at home, you name it, no longer does she do this. My friend had breast cysts a lot, she did a lot of mamograms and I think she still does, I do not do them....

I never liked it before I even knew this so did not imbibe it.

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't care for Starbucks either. I hate the politics and don't care much for either the coffee or the price, but pretty much everything causes cancer in California.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like Starbucks is simply introducing a new product line that will have some Italian olive oil in the recipe. I never patronize Starbucks so I won't be trying it.

As far as the carcinogen thing, that's just more of the CA Prop 65 state law that requires a "may cause cancer" warning on basically everything that is sold in the state. Starbucks is not the only coffee retailer fighting this designation in CA. From the article linked... "Scientific evidence on coffee has gone back and forth for a long time, but concerns have eased recently about possible dangers of coffee, with some studies finding health benefits.

In 2016, the cancer agency of the World Health Organization moved coffee off its "possible carcinogen" list.

Studies indicate coffee is unlikely to cause breast, prostate or pancreatic cancer, and it seems to lower the risks for liver and uterine cancers, the agency said. Evidence is inadequate to determine its effect on dozens of other cancer types.

CBS News medical contributor Dr. David Agus, director of the Westside Cancer Center at USC, says he believes it is too early to put this kind of blanket warning on coffee."

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

What may cause the cancer in coffee are the insecticides and may be the fertilizers that are sprayed on and around the plants and beans. And , some of us:rolleyes: drink waaaaayyyyy too much of it.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I like Starbucks coffee, but it is way too expensive to have it very often, and Bobby totally avoids any of the coffee houses; so we never have coffee except at home.
    However, I think that the idea is a good one, and it is a similar thing to Bulletproof Coffee, which has Kerrygold butter in it, or sometimes, coconut oil. I like coffee with the added oil, but unless you mix it well in the blender, you just have coffee with a puddle of oil on top, which is not tasty at all. With either coconut oil or butter, you need hot coffee to make it blend, so even if you are going to drink it cold, it has to be mixed while it is hot and then cooled down and ice added.

With the olive oil, since it is already liquid, I think that it could be blended into a cold coffee drink, as well as a hot one. I found that my coffee filled me up faster with the coconut oil mixed in and it made a good small meal to have before we went to the fitness center when I also added a little bit of protein powder into the coffee mixture and blended all of it.
    The only reason I stopped was because it takes more effort, time, and clean up than just making my regular coffee does.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm not a fan of Starbucks, and wondered if the burnt flavor I dislike might be evidence of a roasting process that causes carcinogens, much as grilling meats does...except that the article cites a chemical that is widely used in the roasting process. So perhaps both sides are correct: "Coffee does not cause cancer, but the chemical often used in the roasting process does."

As other have said, California's Prop 65 makes a mockery of science and of common sense.

No one says it like Joe Jackson does.

Everything
    Everything gives you cancer
    Everything
    There's no cure, there's no answer

Don't touch that dial
    Don't try to smile
    Just take this pill
    It's in your file

Don't work hard
    Don't play hard
    Don't plan for the graveyard
    Remember

Everything
    Everything

Don't work by night
    Don't sleep by day
    You'll feel all right
    But you will pay

No caffeine
    No protein
    No booze or
    Nicotine
    Remember

Everything
    Everything

No caffeine
    No protein
    No booze or
    Nicotine
    Remember

Everything
    Everything

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Ken Anderson and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. John Brunner

For those not inclined to read the article, olive oil in coffee is not an Italian custom. A Starbuck's exec was in Italy, where it is customary to take a spoonful of olive oil every day. The exec was engaged in this ritual concurrent with his cup of morning Joe and had a peanut-butter-meets-chocolate moment. Olive oil in coffee is no more Italian than chop suey is Chinese.

Of course, there's the supposed sub-story of seeking out the "very best olive oil," which has absolutely nothing to do with price and favorable terms back-filled with a Venti pile of marketing BS. <<sarcasm

8. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Never had Starbucks coffee. Remembering back when I could get a really good cup of coffee for a nickel, I just can't see paying a high price for a 'barista' to pour my cup. Besides, I've heard others say it tastes like crap. I've never had Dunkin Donuts coffee either.

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Duncan Donuts coffee was ok up till about 20 years ago.

John West likes this.
  10. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I seldom go to Starbucks but occasionally my daughter will give me a gift card because she knows I love coffee. (I do love their lemon pound cake. :D) I like their coffee OK but I'm a purist... just plain coffee for me. I won't be buying the olive-oil stuff because it sounds kind of nasty to me.

Denise Evans and Jane Carlson like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

13. John Brunner

They're just venting.

Denise Evans likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

15. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, I'm caught up now on the thread. I'll just say the only experience I've had with Starbucks is there bottled toxic waste:cool: I took to grabbing one that was at a Starbucks just steps from the bank I was working in, for that 3 o'clock pick-me-up. All I got was a sick, upset stomach. That was before I learned to eat low-carb and wish I'd gotten into, even known about it, while I was still working a job.