Stand Or Kneel, Nfl Makes A Decision

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bobby Cole, May 23, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I wasn't even in the country when 911 happened so I don't know, just what I saw on CNN international.

But there are those that say 911 didn't even happen the way it's reported so why the flags then?

I'm not one of them but it is a theory.

2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's one Ive never heard....

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Just because I'm more tolerant of different views doesn't mean I like the different views...just that it's not my right to judge others.

This same reply also goes for the gender thread.

I'd love for it to be like the fifties when I was little but that's not going to happen...things change over time...always have.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Two airlines were made to fly into the NYC Trade Centers and they toppled to the ground. People reported "live" from the scene. It did happen and people in America united and U.S. Flags were flown everywhere, including small ones clipped to rear vehicle windows. Lee Greenwood came out with a song, God Bless The USA that was played at rodeo's and other sporting events.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Looks like you haven't read all the conspiracy theories then....there are some on this forum. I don't agree with them but many say it was an inside job.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If you believe the Bible..isn't everyone a child of God? Created by him?

Obviously didn't create everyone the same color, race etc....yet I see so much hate on anyone different.

I probably do have some of this same thinking but it's not right.

I think the golden rule is the best way to be...not always easy but I really do strive for that...

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not to be in the least antagonistic, but the direction taken in the last few posts has little to do with Kneeling during the NFL’s playing of the anthem or perhaps I missed an important analogy or metaphor.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well, I'm done anyway...time for a break.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

As for the decision..ist just a band aid to try and smooth things over. Doesn't really change anything, in any one direction.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not trying to drag this thread any further off-topic than it has already gone; but to respond to your question about the flags on cars, @Chrissy Cross , I can maybe respond a little to explain your question.
    Regardless of what did actually happen, the result was an attack against the American people, and our way of life. At heart, most Americans are very patriotic, and we do all pull together when something happens.
    So, many people did get the little flags and we put them on our car antennas, or elsewhere on the car, and probably a lot of these little flags were on there for the whole rest of the winter before they wore out.
    It actually came from the same sense of patriotism as the tradition of saying the pledge of allegiance and singing the national anthem that we do at ball games and other community events.
    I think that Bobby is probably right, and this tradition may not even exist for much longer because it does not seem to mean as much to the younger generation as it does to those of us who were raised with it being a part of our lives.
    We always said the Pledge of Allegiance each morning at school, and any time there was a football game or a parade, or any other local event, everything started out with a pledge, a prayer, and usually singing the national anthem, or at least standing while it was being played.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We sang "My country this of thee" in grade school,after the pledge. I honestly can't remember if we prayed but think we might have because that's where I first realized that non Catholics ended with Glory be the the Father etc.

The Catholics just said amen and stopped.

I seemed to have live in predominantly Catholic areas though....in Pittsburgh where we lived there were a lot of Italians.

I was also out of the country from 1997-2003 but every 3 months I'd visit my daughter in California, stay about 2 months go home, come back...this was my pattern for 6 years....if my husband's cancer didn't come back, I might still be living in Hungary...at least part of the year.

Honestly didn't pay attention to flags or cars, just my daughter and first brand new grandson. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For us, (small Idaho town), we expected this each morning in school. We had a mixed variety of religions there, and we didn’t actually all pray, we just listened while a scripture was read from the Bible, and maybe the Lord’s Prayer, and then we recited the pledge of allegiance while standing and facing the flag.
    I don’t think that anyone even considered which church we might have attended, or not attended, it was just an accepted part of the daily ritual of starting school.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There was no scripture or bible readings in any public school I went to, only the Lords Prayer and in high school there was an option of just being quiet if you didn't want to pray.

Think towards the end of high school, it became a moment of silence...no prayer..this was 1968-69.

Of course I went to a Catholic School for 3 years and then first period was religion...called "Christian Doctrine". It was like any other subject with homework and graded.

And church every Friday followed by a breakfast of sweet rolls and milk.

Looks like even way back when things were done differently depending on where you lived I guess.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's not freedom. Land of the free only if you do what I say. :(

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No, haven’t read anything like that, but interesting.
    Wonder what other forum members think .