Squash Cake

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I looked at the recipe, and it does look scrumptious ! Maybe you should bake another one and take it down to the Hi-Goodbye Cafe; so we can all have some with our morning coffee ?

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I'll bring a cake if Joe will start playing better music

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I've heard of pumpkin pie and I was really amused of the taste since from what I understand, pumpkin is just a big squash. We don't have pumpkin here, only squash and sometimes I am tempted to ask my husband to make a squash pie, an imitation of that pumpkin pie. However, I only like squash when it is cooked in coconut milk other than that, I don't relish squash. But maybe for a pie, it may taste better.

But a squash cake? This is another new term and probably if it is like carrot cake then maybe it would taste good.

5. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Corie, you can substitute sweet potatoes for pumpkin in any pumpkin pie recipe. We always use sweet potatoes because that's what we grow.

6. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

We like zuchinni bread here at my house so I looked at the Squash Caker recipe and it looks very much like zuchinni bread. I am definitly going to add the recipe to my file so I can try it in the future. In the summertime there is always an over abundance of both zuchinni and yellow squash here in the south so it is cheap at the farmer's markets. The picture of the cake looks so good.

Yvonne Smith and Sheldon Scott like this.
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

The cake sounds and looks great! Being a Betty Crocker add water and your favorite ingredients to bake it's not for me though I love squash. We have a local squash called kabocha, Cucurbita maxima, which is a winter squash that's grown all year long in Hawaii. It looks like a miniature green pumpkin. Inside flesh of the kabocha is like the pumpkin orange and rather stiff and hard. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (pictures from wikipidia.org Sept. 4, 2015. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabocha)
    What I do is simply clean and cut into cube size. It's a rather hard squash and after cleaning the outer skin with white vinegar/water mix I cook it up slowly in just a little water and add honey and Splenda with a touch of soy sauce and mirin. Mirin is a Japanese condiment that's a type of rice wine that gives a special elusive sweet taste to foods. Mirin is optional. We love this kabocha recipe as a dessert.

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Back home, they sell canned squash that I've made squash pies from, but I have no idea what type of squash it is, so I've never tried to make a pie from an actual squash. @Sheldon Scott do you simply cut up the raw squash, or do you cook it before making the cake? It looks and sound delicious to me, as I love squash and pumpkin.

9. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I use yellow summer squash. I don't cook it first but I chop it pretty fine. I chopped a lot while it was growing and put it in the freezer.

Winter squash would be more like pumpkin and suitable for pies.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

We have an large harvest of squash, what a great way to use some of it. I will be making this cake soon. thanks.