Spring Is In The Air

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Babs Hunt, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I live in central Maine and, while we get the tick warnings and they sell roach spray in the stores, I have been here since early 2001, and have not seen a tick or a roach since I moved here. I spend a lot of time outdoors, including in the woods, and have yet to see a tick. Growing up in the UP of Michigan, we had ticks so I know what they look like. As for roaches, probably in the downtown areas of cities, where roaches can go from one building to another without going outdoors in the winter, there might be roaches, but I haven't seen any. Having lived in Texas and South Carolina, I also know what roaches look like. In Texas, they're so big they have to scratch to be let out. We have snakes here, but no poisonous ones. We have plenty of skunks, raccoons, and moose, though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Von Jones likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Your flower garden is looking gorgeous, @Babs Hunt ! The Jerusalem artichokes should be sprouting up before too long since it is warmer down there than it is here. Ours do not start showing until sometime in April usually, so they are not like some of the plants that sprout early in the spring.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in the south spring was in the air yesterday today there's snow flirries

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

You do have a beautiful garden Babs Hunt

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm just seeing your posts about "my garden" @Yvonne Smith and @Chris Ladewig and I wish I could claim that garden but it belongs to the backyard of my youngest daughter's new home. :) I just took the pictures of what is starting to bloom back there.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm just seeing this post @Yvonne Smith We didn't plant the Jerusalem artichoke tubers you sent us yet. I thought you told me we could keep them in a cool place and plant them when the cold weather finished. Which it just did. So they will be going in the ground soon and we look forward to watching them grow. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My Spring "weed" flowers are just beautiful this year! :) They are the prettiest shade of yellow and just make my heart sing with joy when I see them in all their glory.
    IMG_0974.JPG f IMG_0976.JPG
    Here's some more flowers blooming forth too. :)
    IMG_0982.JPG IMG_0984.JPG

9. Ken Anderson

I have no green or colorful pictures to share because everything is still covered with snow, but the weather is warming up and I think that we may have finally gotten to the lamb part of March. We probably won't have green grass until May, at unless it gets considerably warmer.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken.. Much the same up here.. We are still in full winter even though it is now spring..

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Same here as Ken and Steve....

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

If you have not planted the sunchokes yet, you need to get that done right away, @Babs Hunt ! Mine are already starting to sprout up, so I am sure that the ones down where you are would already be up by now, since you are much further south than we are.
    Mine are just barely poking a couple of little leaves up ; but it won’t be long for them to start growing once we get a bit warmer weather. If I transplant as soon as they start to sprout, then I can usually get them to grow; but once they get over a few inches tall, they do not like to be transplanted.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My Honey has Monday off...he will plant them then. He has quite a green thumb so I'm believing they will bloom forth. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

The last of our snow just melted day before yesterday. We've had a few warm days and some flowers are up.

DSCN0716.jpg
    DSCN0715.jpg

Von Jones and Babs Hunt like this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I absolutely love bright yellow flowers! They just make my heart sing with joy for some reason. Those are beautiful Ken and I bet you and Michelle are glad to have some flowers blooming now too. :)