Spring Flowers Are Blooming

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

At least here in the South, we have trees that are in blossom everywhere, and flowers that are starting to show off their beauty as well.
    Right now, the dogwoods are all in bloom, in both the pink and the white variety, and some of the tulip trees have already blossoms and lost all of their petals in the last few rainstorms we have had.
    Bobby and I walked around the front yard today, looking to see if any new flowers might be sarting to bud out, and were pleased to find tiny buds on most of the roses, as well as one iris that looks like it will bloom this year.
    The azaleas are in the midst of blooming, and some are not quite opened up yet. The new tulips that I planted early this spring have blossomed out, and they are beautiful ! I am looking forward to these spreading and coming back each year.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Where's all the pictures of those beautiful flowers, etc. Yvonne? What color are your tulips? There's nothing like Spring and the earth starting to bloom forth in so many amazing colors. I hope you will share some of the beauty you are seeing with us all. :)

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

So good to hear that spring has come at last to some places on the mainland. The flowers are so lovely!

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My roses are blooming already. That's the only flowers I have now. Because of the drought and my travels, I keep my yard simple as possible.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was putting the seeds in the other day, I noticed the jasmine is starting to bud. Some of the trees are blooming nearby, and although some of the trees stay green year round, I'm seeing new growth on the pecan tree out back.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just took these 3 pics this morning. All my rose bushes were cut down to about 6 inches maybe 2 months ago.
    The little teacup rose bush in memory of my husband has grown really fast. I'm thinking I need to put something decorative on the dirt up front, then I think...why waste my money!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I also need to straighten the ADT sign but the dirt is sooo hard here that I can't .

Ruby Begonia and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Your roses are FANTABULOUS , @Chrissy Page ! ! Those are just awesomely beautiful roses. I agree that it does not make much sense to try and do anything with the dirt when they keep having the water shortages in California, and you are gone sometimes and would not be there to water as much as it would need if the whole thing were planted.
    To straighten up your sign, what I usually do is take the hose, turn it on really slow, and then just soak the area right where the sign is at.
    It will take a while since it is just dribbling enough to get that one spot wet.
    As the ground get wetter, you can wiggle the ADT sign a bit, and that will help the water to seep in. Before long, it should get wet enough right there that you can straighten up the sign, pack the dirt back around it, and let it dry out again.
    Hope that helps !

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Yvonne, I'll give it a try. Stupid sign bothers me.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yesterday, we were out working in the yard, and found some Moonflower seed pods, and they had seeds in them. Today, I started 3 of the seeds in the little Sprout Aerogarden, and also 8 more of the dinosaur kale in there. This should help it to grow better, and I can for sure tell which is the kale this time.
    Everything grows so much better in the aerogardens, and I can enjoy watching things grow. I love the Aerogardens !
    I moved the pepper plants out of the large Bounty Aerogarden, and into planters this morning. We had that cold snap and had to bring all of the tomatoes and watermelon back in the house last week. Since it is supposed to be down to 34 this weekend, we won't put anything back outside until it warms up again next week, and then (hopefully) we should be past all of the 30+ cold nights for this year's growing season.
    I really enjoy the Moonflower vines, and they just look so delicate and unreal when they bloom, and the scent is heavenly, too.

image.jpeg

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg Today, a few more roses on my hubby's memorial rose bush. Still haven't straightened the sign. :(

image.jpg

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Oops, don't know what went wrong but I can barely feel my fingers. With the ice and the cleaning the top of fridge my fingers hurt, need to buy rubber gloves.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Here is a side of my back yard, it's pretty symmetrical, same thing on the other side.

image.jpg
    I used to have flowers planted in the dirt where the bushes and tree are, it's a circle on both sides of the patio but I don't bother anymore.

Ruby Begonia and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg image.jpg Today.....

Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  14. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne is the moonflower as invasive as morning glory?

15. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.