Spontaneous Human Combustion - My Personal Experience

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I wrote a piece and submitted it to Seniors Only when I first joined in 2016. I am curious to know if any other members have had a personal experience.

2. Lon Tanner

Registered

You Tube has some good material on this subject.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Lon...take a nap Bud.;)

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Is that anything like the "Big Bang" theory Lon? :)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Registered

No, not at all.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I know...I was just kidding with you Lon. I actually saw some videos in the past on your thread topic and they were very interesting. My belief is that anything is possible.

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

My story involves a 185 lb 65 year old man that was reduced to 8 lbs of bone fragments over night. I personally removed these bone fragments that were under the sub flooring beneath the over stuffed chair he had been sitting in. He was over weight and a alcoholic which seems to be typical profile of other victims. His son was a prominent doctor that viewed and was able to identify his fathers remains.

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Is there a link to your story?

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

His son identified 8 pounds of bone fragments??? And I assume no one observed the "spontaneous combustion," so even if he burned up he could have set himself on fire accidentally or whatever.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Under the right conditions, enough alcohol consumption, air and a spark is all it takes to combust; from the inside out.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't agree. How could you combust from the inside out if there's no air inside, and how would there be a spark inside? From Wikipedia...

"...investigation, which looked at cases in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, showed that the burned bodies were in close proximity to plausible sources for the ignition: candles, lamps, fireplaces, and so on. Such sources were often omitted from published accounts of these incidents, presumably to deepen the aura of mystery surrounding an apparently "spontaneous" death. The investigations also found that there was a correlation between alleged SHC deaths and the victim's intoxication (or other forms of incapacitation) which could conceivably have caused them to be careless and unable to respond properly to an accident. Where the destruction of the body was not particularly extensive, a primary source of combustible fuel could plausibly have been the victim's clothing or a covering such as a blanket or comforter."

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Registered

The wick effect is the name given to the partial destruction of a human body by fire, when the clothing of the victim soaks up melted human fat and acts like the wick of a candle. ... It is one commonly offered explanation for the alleged phenomenon of spontaneous human combustion (SHC).
    Wick effect - Wikipedia

Craig Wilson and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Most of those who are considered candidates for this phenomenon are fat old people who smoke a lot and drink copious amounts of alcohol, so unless it is a witnessed event, it is blamed on a drunk smoker who sets themselves on fire and their body fat continues the combustion. The devotees believe it is metabolism gone haywire, but it has never been produced in the laboratory.

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I resurrected this after a thought came to mind today. Long ago, I read the human body is composed of a surprisingly high percentage of water.

Turns out to be 50-75%. Mix water 50/50 with any combustible substance other than highly flammable substances, and it just won't burn!

Say, 50/50 mix with fat: no burn, IMO. Until the water is boiled away, but that's cheating: no spontaneous burn. With gasoline? Certain burn, of the gas floating to the surface. This is becoming ludicrous, so I'm done!
    Frank

15. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams Veteran Member
    Registered

Kind of like burning green wood?

Frank Sanoica likes this.