Spending For Pets

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Corie Henson, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

In a chat with neighbors yesterday, they hinted that I have been spending spending much for our dogs because they have been noticing when the vet would arrive (we are lucky to have a vet who makes house calls). And not only for the vet's services but also for grooming, I have to admit that it is quite an expense. But since we treat our dogs as family, we have no qualms when we need to spend for them as long as we make them comfortable in their life.

When I was younger, I used to wonder why some people are so attached to their pets. And now I know the reason why.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson

Our pets often treat us better than do our everyday human acquaintances. Like neighbors concerned with our spending habits: really none of their business, is it?
    Frank

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Our family dogs are treated the same as yours Corie...and why shouldn't they be IMO...we bring them into the family, it's our responsibility to ensure they are well looked after..

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Why not, dote on our loved ones! Pets are so endearing they just pour kindness to all humans so it's a fine thing to do to care for pets and dote on them too. I've seen people and their pets at stores adorned with cute outfits. The little pet is so well behaved and very well kept too and so cute to see. We can't have pets where we live and right now I can't afford them, but I watch videos of other's pets who love the camera and they always make me lol or smile. So why not dote on them, I say!

Kitty Carmel and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I see nothing wrong with being "curious", which I don't see as nosing into someone's business. But, then again, that's me.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, pets can be expensive, especially when there is more than one. But, then again, an older pet is like an older person who can acquire health problems and the money for medical bill starts adding up.

7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Agree. I've heard some people say 'some people treat or care about animals more than people' It's not that I don't care about people, but animals are my solace and I don't know what I would do without them.

K E Gordon likes this.
  8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Agree also. I wish you could have pets. You are so kind.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)You're welcome.

10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Pets just ask for our attention and our concern. They don't judge us or disappoint us. Their needs and wants are simple yet they give so much. People can be wonderful, but in my opinion too few are, and I like animals because of their simplcity and the fact they are always glad to see you whether your house is a mess, whether you are rich or poor, and whether or not you are in a good or bad mood. They are always there for solace and comfort, and too few people can lay claim to that.

Corie Henson likes this.
  11. Corie Henson

Registered

I love your first 2 lines - pets just want our attention and concern and they are not judgmental like people. Sometimes I imagine to have children but then I would come to realize that pets are easier to raise than humans although I agree that it would be on a case to case basis. What if we had kids who turn out to be brats? Or worse they become criminals? Just "sorry thoughts" maybe so I guess pets were given to me to enjoy instead of children. And again, I am willing to spend for my pets because they give me genuine affection that makes me feel loved all the time.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Chipper hates me today. It was his day for bath and grooming, and he hates that. I have had him since he was a tiny puppy, and he has been bathed and clipped all of his life; but now that he is a Senior Dog, he has gotten grumpy about being bathed and brushed. Consequently, I don't do it as often now as I used to, which makes if more of a job when I do groom him.
    So, today, I clipped off all of the mats and trimmed his toenails, bathed him, and cleaned his ears. He yowled, squalled, and squirmed all the way through the whole thing, so if any neighbors heard him, they probably though he was being badly mauled. Bobby said he looks like a Chihuahua now, with his hair clipped short; but that should give it time to grow out before the cold weather gets here and he needs his long hair again.
    Afterwards, he went and sat under Bobby's chair, as if to say that he was now going to be "Daddy's Dog" if I was going to abuse him in that fashion.
    I made him a scrambled egg, which he happily ate, and now he has forgiven me........ I think !
    This is Chipper in his younger days, after his bath and grooming.
    E853DCFE-4E1D-40B4-B1BD-704494E13BBC.JPG

Corie Henson likes this.
  13. Corie Henson

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, I didn't know that egg is good for the dog. I agree with that antics during the grooming day. Our oldest dog Tisoy would be hiding under the computer table and he would growl whenever I would ask him to come out. But that growling was only for show, he doesn't bite and he would eventually come out and probably enjoy the bathing especially during summer. And when the weather is cold, I don't give my dogs a bath, they might get sick.

I'm glad to know that you do the entire grooming by yourself. With my female dog Barbie, I can do everything. However, our 2 male dogs hate the nail trimmer, just the sight that I am holding it would make Pipoy agitated. And this pug bites, huh. So what I do is to bring these 2 male dogs to the nearby grooming salon just for the cutting of nails. What a hassle, huh.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Since my son in law is the one that got me Pickles, they take care of all his expensive needs but I buy his toys and bones and things like that.

Since Pickles will tear apart any toy in 2 days no matter how expensive it was, I try to look for cheaper ones.

Someone once suggested I look online for the small ones because I always only see the bigger dog toys for sale at
    Stores.

He only likes the stuffed animal kind, won't touch a ball or anything that's rubber.....too bad because those would last longer.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I spend approximately $3.50-$4.50 per day for my three cats on wet food, since they eat a continually changing diet of premium canned foods, at two cans a day, sometimes more if they ask me nicely. Plus, they always have Blue Buffalo kibble available, but since it's always there, it's harder for me to figure out what it's costing me on kibble. I also have treats for them, with as much nutrition as possible, and I cook for them on a fairly regular basis.

Vet bills are hugely expensive but, given that they eat well, they haven't had a lot of veterinarian visits. I do not bring them in for regular checkups because they'll harp on me about vaccinations and I am convinced that the longevity of my cats are directly related to good nutrition and limited vaccinations.

Yvonne Smith likes this.