Speaking Of Pets In Shopping Carts...

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it was on this forum that we had a conversation about this subject. If not, I apologize. I'm about to take Shannon to the Vet's office for bloodwork before her surgery later this week. I have to pick up a few minimal supplies on the way home, and I'll leave her in the car with it running. I'll also place a note on the carrier, as I did the last time I had to do this. The note states that the AC is on, and I'm only running in the store for a few minutes, and not to break the windows. It seems there are more stories each year of people breaking vehicle windows to 'rescue' pets, and in some cases, there was no need. In other cases, of course, I would have broken the windows myself.

This is also on my mind because of this story I just came across. I don't know what would possess someone to steal a vehicle with an animal in it, especially a large, visible animal. Apparently the lure of an unlocked vehicle is enough for some people. http://www.khou.com/news/local/dog-stolen-from-owners-car-in-home-depot-parking-lot/233516586 I called my local Kroger to see if they would allow a pet in a carrier in the store, but they said it's against the law unless it's a service animal, which is what I suspected, and that is why I will be leaving Shannon in the car just for a few minutes.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Some people just don't get the point. I mentioned it in another thread (probably the one you're thinking of), but I was at the grocery store once when a lady had called the manager out the parking lot wanting him to track down the owner of a pickup truck who had left his dog in the cab while he was shopping. She was asking if she should call the police or break a window if he wasn't found soon, ignoring the fact that it wasn't hot and the truck was running; probably not even locked. Plus, a dog in a pickup truck usually indicates that it's a guy (no, not always), and guys don't generally spend a lot of time in the grocery store.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, I've seen plenty of vehicles left running with AC on, and dogs in them (cats not so much, or not noticeably so, anyway), in the past, with no issues. But, it seems there's a new movement afoot, wherein people decide they know best, and smash the windows of vehicles, to 'rescue' the animals. If I were concerned, I might stay by the vehicle, if it was a particularly hot day, and the vehicle wasn't running, and the animal appeared to be in distress. Then I'd be the first one smashing the windows, but I've seen a lot of videos circulating on the internet that seem to encourage young people to take matters into their own hands without really investigating the situation first. I ended up having to take her home first before going to the store, so it wasn't an issue after all, but I might be in that same situation again at some point.

4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I would like to hope these are well meaning people who simply need something to believe in or crusade for. I just wish the US had some well water that contained big doses of common sense that some people could drink from.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most dogs love to ride along in cars, so it's more of a treat for the dog when someone takes it along.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Hasty Generalization", regarding probably a guy, but OK with me; if one resides where it is 115 degrees every afternoon, (as we do), both guys and gals tend to spend unusually long periods of time in the stores having the coolest temps.

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm a dog lover and would surely think about the dog being neglected when I see on in a parked vehicle. But for sure, I would check on it and if the animal looks comfortable especially if the engine is running (for the air conditioner) then that would be okay. But I think the sign that says not to break the window is genius, @Diane Lane. That would spare animal lovers of the bother of thinking about your pet.

Not to brag but that's my advantage over you, guys. We have 2 housemaids and if necessary, I could bring one of them so there would be a person in the car with the dogs. Saturday is the day we go to the wet market. My husband drives for me and stays in the car with our 2 dogs while parked in the nearby gas station. Sometimes he leaves the car to check on some wares (just about 20 meters away) and would just leave the engine running so the dogs will not be deprived of the air conditioning.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, it's a distinct advantage to have another person to sit with them, and that would be the ideal situation. I think nowadays, some people act without thinking, especially those spurred on by heartrending stories of animals sick or dying from being in hot vehicles. I have taken a closer look myself on occasion, when I wasn't sure what the situation was, but most of us know when the car's running, the AC is on, and that the animal will be o.k. I always worry about the few who might act rashly, though. I ended up leaving the other day and just dropping her off at home and going back for a few reasons. One of those reasons was that there was a car in the (fairly small parking lot) with a few occupants who appeared they could be somewhat shady, and I didn't want to take a chance. These days, it makes me nervous to see a car with a few people going in/out, hanging out in it, although in the past, that might not have bothered me as much.

Corie Henson likes this.