Spam

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Spam has gotten a bad reputation over the years, but I have always liked it. It has never been a staple in my diet, but it tastes good and I would eat it now and then, either by itself or mixed with potatoes and eggs.

Since I have been married though, Spam is something that I can only have when my wife is out of town. Personally, I think Spam has gotten a bad rap.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband liked it.:)

I don't know if I like it or not because it's been so long that I've had any. Spam and sex. :) sorry couldn't help myself.

My reason for not eating it now would be the high sodium content. I don't have high blood pressure nor do I have to watch my salt intake but I just do....it bothers me. Don't know if you can be sensitive to salt but I am.

Von Jones and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Me too, we love spam cut up in little pieces for our noodle dish called saimin. We add green onions, vegetables like mustard cabbage to eat with our saimin and a soy soup base mostly. We love Spam so much on island that yearly we have Spam Jam! April 30, 2016 we had our 14 Annual Spam Jam in Waikiki celebration this year.
    [​IMG]
    image is from http://spamjamhawaii.com/.

Spam, eggs and brown rice mixed with barley and white rice is delicious!

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Now that you mention it, Krissttina I remembered that Spam is a big deal in Hawaii. Didn't eat it there either.

My daughter and SIL and grandsons are leaving tomorrow for a week in Maui.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Spam defends itself.......
    [​IMG]

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Spam is a resident item in our food cabinet together with corned beef, sausage and canned fish. It is one breakfast item that never fails the salivary gland test. Even our dogs love spam as evidenced by their presence in the kitchen when spam is being fried - yes, we fry it to crisp, that's my style of eating spam.

I have a question on this thread. When I was younger, I remember my mother bringing home meat loaf whenever she would go to the province where a US air base is located (which is synonymous to imported American goods). What is the difference between meat loaf and spam? I don't think they are the same although they look the same to me.

7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Spam comes in a can. Meatloaf is often a home made item, that generally includes, hamburger or turkey meat and various seasonings including onion and bread, crumbs or maybe oatmeal.. You can also buy meatloaf pre made of course, and it used to be a staple in TV dinner meals. It is funny you eat Spam, because they eat a lot of it in Hawaii as well. Our bus driver when we were touring Oahu, said his favorite meal was Spam and rice. I think more is eaten by those in the Pacific islands than is eaten in Mainland USA . I hven't had it for years, but I did go to the Spam Museum in Austin Minnesota...:D:)

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's my favorite way of preparing the gourmet dish, as well.

9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I love spam but, since I'm on a sodium restricted diet, it's a no-no.:(

Joe Riley and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson Geez, Ken! I just spotted the heading, saw "I like it", and wondered about the 200 or so I get daily, why would I like it?

Then the color came...ah, Spam! "Aten" as a kid, not often, then later the Co. added "Treet". Were they much different? Our old family Doctor, a Welshman brought to America as a child, always chided my Dad when we were in his office for some minor "repair": Sanoica! Don't let your wife buy too much ham, "lunchmeat", or hot dogs. They have Sodium Nitrite in them. It causes cancer. Old Doctor Davies was our family's "healer", always up-front, always on "our side". A truly dedicated individual. When I crushed my thumb under a manhole cover at age 5, he kept an office-full of patients waiting while he drove to our house, about 7, 8 miles! I have never known another like him.

Frank

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, the Spam museum was a trip, because there are maybe 50 varieties of Spam that have been produced over the years i different flavors like teriyaki and pineapple.. How many are currently offered, I have no idea. I do know that those looking to save a buck, used to eat it like ham and put cloves in it and bake it in the oven. My guess is it has gone up significantly in price, like everything else!

Ina I. Wonder and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank, at the age of 5, you were a little young to be playing tiddly winks with man-hole covers!

Frank Sanoica and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"It’s not an easy task, convincing people to willingly eat meat that comes in its own coffin, especially after hearing the “STHLURP” as it slithers out and the “STHLUNK” as it lands on the counter top in a quivering, solid, gelatinous mass".

AN ODE TO SPAM IN THE STYLE OF SEUSS

Do you like Fried Rice and Spam?

Would you? Could you? In a wok?

Would you like them gently tossed?

Would you like them with fish sauce?

Would you like them cut up silly?

Would you like them with fried chilli?

Would you eat ’em with a spork?

Would you eat ’em with with roast pork?

You may like them, they’re not obscene

You may like them in chow mien.

Eat them! Eat them! There they are!

Eat them! Eat them! Be a Spam superstar!

[​IMG]

15. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Years ago I found a recipe that the whole family liked for macaroni, cheese, and spam. Also had peas and cream of celery soup in there. Haven't made it for a long time, though, because I don't buy the processed mac and cheese boxes any longer. I should try it with my homemade!

But that's not the Spam memory I have. When I was babysitting for my cousins, my uncle was a truck driver. I looked forward to the lunchtimes when he was home because he took over the kitchen and I often requested his candied Spam... butter, brown sugar and... maybe that's all.... with thick slices of Spam fried in it. Yeah, it was *really* good. My uncle was at peak fitness and especially liked getting his exercise with his baseball team. Perfect weight, seemingly perfect health. Died at age 38 from a heart attack. It was a huge blow to all of us. Anyhow, that's my favorite memory of him... "Anyone want candied Spam for lunch? I'll cook!" knowing full well what my answer would always be. :)

Von Jones, Ken Anderson and Joe Riley like this.