Spam And Scam Emails

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Corie Henson, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I regularly receive spam and scam emails. Maybe my email address is already in the database of those advertisers and scammers. Here are some of what I received lately.

1) FINAL WARNING!!!

"YAH00 CUSTOMER CARE" <noreply_666868886657764836-atbsvlqm3xs8t9s@yahoo.com>

Your E-mail account has exceeded its limit, Yahoo recommend you verify your account.
    If not verified within 24hrs, we shall shut-down your account.
    Please open the attachment for your account verification.

2) "Ali Flewelling" <aflewelling@ccsnh.edu>

$5,000,000.00USD is Donated to you by Mrs. Liliane Bettencourt

- - - - - - -
    Gee, I wonder if those emails successfully get victims. Just from the looks of it, you are too gullible to bite the bait. But I understand that there are still gullible people nowadays in spite of the warnings that we see on the nightly news on tv.

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, I have had those scam emails as well. I even had one of these folks at home. Turns out all of the emails came from Nigeria.

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have even got them claiming it was my bank and credit card. They tell me that my account excess will be cancelled if I don’t check in. I called the bank and they told me to forward the e-mails to phishing @ my bank so they can go after the people behind it.

PS Corie I just listen to the president of the Philippines telling the UN he does not give a sh*t and also ranted about the US. I love that guy.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Today, I had a scare, and it turns out it was a scam email trying to get my Apple ID info. It was about the same kind of thing we got before that turned out to be a scam, and the email said it was from Apple, and my account had been used by someone with an iPhone7. I checked with my kids and none of them had used my account, but they said I better change my password right away.
    When I looked at the link they sent, it was not a direct link to Apple, and then I took another look at the email that they sent me.When I clicked the link that said Apple to see the whole email, then it showed a totally different email, and I realized that it was a scam.
    I am so glad that I didn't just click the link they sent me and change my password ! ! I know others here also use an iPad or iPhone, so I wanted to share this just in case anyone else gets one of these emails.
    Here is what the actual email they sent it from looked like when I opened the name. I am going to report it to Apple and maybe they can stop them.
    IMG_0395.JPG

Edit to add:
    I talked with Apple customer support, and they said it was a scammer, and everything is fine with my account, and I now have a stronger password, so that is good, too.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I tested this out long ago, when I got fed up with spam and junk mail. I have one email, for business, medical, and etc. absolutely no spam for years. I have another for all those "please provide your email " things...always has spam. Many places, and especially on the internet, will send your info to thousands of other places, which creates the spam. So all those,clicks and sign ups for everything except what really matters creates more spammy stuff. Plus I ditched Yahoo years ago,glad i did now its been hacked so much..of course that could happen to any email acct. have been much happier without having to see 165 spam to emails. Plus, you can have spam to auto delete. Works fer me:p

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that we all hate spam email, and I have another address that I use when I think it might get put on an email list of any kind, @Gloria Mitchell . However, what I received yesterday was not just a spam email, it was a scamming email, which is much worse.
    It copies a legitimate website, like Apple in this case, and they had my Apple iCloud email that they somehow had gotten, so it all looked believable and correct. Because hackers seem to get into all kinds of accounts these days, it seemed totally believable that someone could have hacked into my Apple account and signed into the account.
    The pretend-Apple email said to reset my account information right away, and then provided a link which supposedly went to Apple Suppport. But when I tried the link, it went to some long web address, and that is when I started to think that it might be fake. Then, I went back to the email, which said it was from Apple, but when I clicked the name to see the actual email address they used, it was the scam email address that I posted a picture of.
    I remember having a similar thing happen before, and I think it was supposed to be from Paypal, and told me to reset my paypal password because someone had hacked into my account.
    That one was also a scam, and if I had used the link to reset the password, then they could have gotten into my PayPal account.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I understand what you were saying,and agree. However, so far i have not had any types of emails like that,thank goodness. Just getting an email such as that,from anyone would probably alert me that something is wrong.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

If I get an email that looks official, I still don't trust it...especially my bank. I'll either call them or go directly to my bank online...won't reply to an email.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I get e-mails from banks that I do not deal with saying they are going to close my account. Sometime even from my bank. I make them all as phishing and that helps I never open them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.