Spacejock Software

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Unfortunately, his software is not available for a Mac, but if I used a PC regularly, I would certainly have a bunch of stuff from Spacejock Software.

Actually, I see that at least some of it is available for Android and iOS, so there is hope for tablets and smart phones.

Most of it is for writers, and free, although he has some other stuff.

yWriter

Of particular interest to me is yWriter, which is a free word processor that breaks writing into chapters and scenes, with the ability to add scenes without assigning them to a chapter.

It also makes backups of previous versions so if you were to change something and then think that maybe it was better before, you can look back at previous versions.

yEdit

Of even more use to me, yEdit is a simple text editor with frequent auto-backups. I try to always use text editors with auto backups because it's so frustrating to have something go wrong and lose everything I have been working on. For me, the things that "go wrong" are usually cat related, but others might be concerned with crashes or power outages, which has been a problem for me as well.

Of special interest to me, now that I am about to begin an article site focused on 500-word articles, it allows the user to set a word-count and it will give you a running countdown. I have a text editor for Mac that counts my words, but having it count down would be especially nice.

You can also password-protect files created.

Sonar

Sonar is a manuscript submission tracking program that could be useful, I suppose.

BookDB

For readers, he has BookDB, which creates a database of books, with author, category, publisher, etc. You can also note anyone you might have lent a book to, or whether you have multiple copies, etc.

To save time, a barcode scanner can be used on books with barcodes.

yBook

yBook is an e-book reader that gives you two pages side-by-side rather than one page in the middle of the screen, although a single-page mode is available.

fCharts

Available in a free version and a pro (non-free) version, fCharts is a charting program for trades or investments.

Plus, he has a bunch of other stuff, such as smaller programs and utilities, that I haven't looked at, like for time tracking, ham radio, notes, etc.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Tim Burr likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

All of this way over my head:)

3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson Thank You for the heads up on the software.
    Found a few I'm going to try out.

4. Ken Anderson

I hope you like it. I was looking for a simple text editor with a word countdown but alas, this isn't available in Mac.

5. Mike Dobra

Mike Dobra Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks Ken - have just downloaded yWrite as I have written about seventy short stories, but a few need a proper finish and a few a tweak or two!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

I just noticed that yWriter is available for Kindle, so I am downloading it. While I don't do a lot of that kind of stuff with my Kindle, reserving it for reading books or occasionally going online, I guess I'll take a look at it.