Songs Of The Sixties....

Discussion in 'Music' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith, I think I saw that movie when it was replayed on tv some years back. The title is Walk The Line. I don't remember much the story because it's about music and I am not that music-minded, you know.

@Carlota Clemens, I definitely knew that song and in fact was one of my favorites. Again, that song was always being played on the radio courtesy of my brother who is a music freak. You would know if my brother is at home because the radio was always blaring with music.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There was a movie made about Johnny Cash, and it was called "I Walk The Line". I forgot who played Johhnny Cash; but they did a very good job making the movie, and mixing the old photo clips and singing of actual Johnny Cash and the movie portayal of him and of June Carter Cash.
    The song clip that I posted was actually from the early recording days, in 1958, when Johnny Cash was first getting started recording.

Here is the trailer for the movie, in case anyone has not seen it yet.

3. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Does anyone here remember a weird little song called "Itchykoo Park," by the Small Faces? If ya'll recall correctly, They later became Rod Stewart and the Small Faces, and then Rod Stewart and the Faces. Ahhh! I'm really showing my age now!

4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Itchykoo Park!... Yes, I remember that song playing on my favorite radio station. The lyrics says something like "it's all so beautiful" and incidentally was often preceded by "White Room" by Cream, band from Eric Clapton came from.

Ah, this is another fact I can remember now! Before the 1980s, a large number of countries where about 2 years behind the United States/Great Britain in music, fashion, and technology, yet the news up to date thanks to the worldwide united press.

Then between the 1980s and 1990s the gap was reduced to only 1 year, until the Internet came to get us all together and up to date.

Hearing about your brother also brought to mind myself because I was equally a music freak that cannot live without playing music all day long, and used to carry my radio even to the church. I can't miss my Creedence Clearwater Revival daily special just to listen to the mass, so I had my single-ear headphone to keep music up anytime of the day, anywhere!

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Joaquin Phoenix played Johnny Cash with Reese Witherspoon as June.

I remember an older movie, Great Balls of Fire, naturally enough about Jerry Lee Lewis. Dennis Quaid was brilliant in that and I still have vivid memories of the bit where Lewis set fire to his piano (because he wasn't give the closing spot) and said "Follow that!" to Chuck Berry as he left the stage.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

I just watched the trailer for the Jerry Lee Lewis movie. I was never a big fan of his style of music; but I do like DennisQuaid, although this is certainly a different role than I have ever seen him playing.
    Here is the trailer, for anyone else who has missed this great movie about the early days of Rock and Roll.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I went to my high school Sophomore (1966) and Junior (1967) dances and remember dancing in a circle, but the only kind of music my step-parents listened to at home was Lawrence Welk on Saturday night. If I could, I'd generally head to my bedroom when that came on and sometimes turn my radio on to some old rock songs. I kept it low so I wouldn't get yelled at (LOL). Sometime during those later high school years I was given a pair of drum sticks and started tapping on some wood in the garage.

Now, when I left home and into the Navy (mid 1968), the "rock person" really came out in me. After getting stationed in San Diego, Calif., I would go to the San Diego Armed Forces YMCA and their Navy/USO Dances on Friday night. Oh do I remember these groups: The Kingsmen, Surfaris, Vanilla Fudge, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Outsiders and on and on. Then, in the mid 70's, Disco hit and I got into that. After Disco stopped, it was back into rock! Van Halen, Bad Company, Foreigner, Heart and so on.

Yes, I remember Arlo Guthrie and Peter, Paul and Mary, but just couldn't get into that music. Give me some Santana, Jefferson Starship or Sly and the Family Stone........YES!

8. Yvonne Smith

Since I grew up in a pokey little town in Idaho, and spent most of my time on my horse when I was growing up; I listened to country music, which was more like western music back then.
    My first favorite singers were Roy Rogers, Rex Allen, Gene Autry, and some of the other early western singers. Even though I also liked the early rock and roll of the fifties; I stayed into the country music side, and never really got into the rock music that started into the 1960's.

One of the singers that came along in the late 60's, or maybe early 70's that I totally thought was awesome , was Kris Kristofferson. He wrote so many of the country music hits that were sung by other well-known singers, and also put out some great albums himself.
    I was actually able to see Kris and Rita (Coolidge) when they were in Seattle, and that concert was one of the greatest memories of that time period that I have.

9. Carlota Clemens

Registered

I first discovered Kris Kristofferson as an actor than as a country singer/songwriter, and it was until the early 80s when I found him singing by the side of Rita Coolidge, Willie Nelson and I'm not sure if Freddy Fender too.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, the release of the two Urban Cowboy movies filled the air with music of Barbara Mandrell, Tanya Tucker, Loretta Lynn, The Oak Ridge Boys, and Dottie West along with country pop stars including Eddie Rabbit, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, and many others besides those singers already mentioned.

Curiously it was until the 1980s when I first heard "Great Walls of Fire" for the first time, but performed by a techo-rock band, which along with punk and new-wave were the predominant music genres competing in the country atmosphere we were then having.

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have seen the movie A Star Is Born a long time ago in the rerun channel of cable tv. Musical movies don't really appeal to me but the start caught my fancy since I do not know Kris Kristofferson as an actor (although I don't know him either as a singer). With Barbra Streisand in the lead, it is worth watching because the music gets into your bone.

The movie also showed a portion on how the composer in Kris' character make songs using the tape recorder. And when Barbra had achieved their dream of hitting the limelight, something happened. Well, I'm not supposed to reveal everything, right?

11. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I love music from the 60s. All different kinds. In fact, I would say that music from the late 60s is probably my favorite genre. Motown is really big with me!

12. Yvonne Smith

Here is another great song from early 1960's. Barry DeVorzon had a big hit with this song, and the flip side, Rosemary, was also popular; but not nearly as much as Hey, Little Darlin was. Enjoy, if you remember this one and liiked it, too....

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's "Hey Jules", by the Beatles....later changed to "Hey Jude", because of the "Jud" in Oklahoma Musical.

Corie Henson likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I hated it when the radio stations would but Hey Jude three-fourths of the way through, and they did that repeatedly. I did not know that it started as Hey Jules, by the way, although I had known that it was written for Julian.

15. Carlota Clemens

Registered

I remember many of the Beatles songs, but probably the very first I heard was Twist and Shouts, only that I was like 3 or 4 yeas old and didn't know who these band was.

Later, as a devoted fan of Creedence Clearwater Revival, it was unacceptable to listen to the competence (The Beatles) songs, and while I remember to having found myself humming a Beatles-related song, it was "shaming" to admit liking it!

I also ignored the facts about "Hey Jude" until reading these posts.