Songs Of The 70's

Discussion in 'Decades' started by Susan Long, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Wow, I went from one song to another on you tube and I ended up on a bunch of satan videos, even some Islamic ones ...DA jal or something like that. Watched a few out of curiosity. Didn't realize there were so many.

Doesn't take too many clicks on YouTube to get to weird places and I'm not even talking about redtube.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

This one has me thinking I should get back on POF. :)

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Remember when every new song to make the charts was branded by some as being a "drug song"? Puff the Magic Dragon comes to mind. Frank

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes and some were about drugs...in fact a lot were about drugs. :)

White Rabbit...Jefferson Airplane
    cocaine....Eric Clapton
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds...Beatles
    Hotel California...The Eagles

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  6. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, what's the story behind that, @Frank Sanoica ... rumor or true? I always wondered why what sounded like a kid's song got so popular. It was years later until that "duh moment" hit me. "Uh, PUFF... sheesh! Duh!" :oops:

Man oh Manischewitz, I miss the 70s. It seemed so turbulent at the time, but the way things are now... and looking back... well, I just miss the decade. A lot. :(

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I miss the 60's more, the 70's were a busy time for me. Just married and both kids born in the 70's. My focus wasn't on music or even what was going on but on taking care of my family. :)

I was never a hippie type though so I guess I just miss the lack of responsibility I still had in the 60's.

8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember listening to Bread and to the song Beth by KISS. Then there was Alice Cooper and the Bee Gees. Never did get into the disco music by the Bee Gees.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  9. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth was such a pretty song. I'll play it here for you. When it comes to Bread, loved one of their albums. I think it was "Best of Bread"... white cover. My favorite song was always "If." I'll play that, too. :) @Texas Beth

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

One of my favorites is this song by Paul Williams.

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

"If", by Bread, was one of the shortest recordings to make the Billboard Top 40, 4/03/71, ranked 4, on chart 11 weeks. It ran just a bit over one minute long, as I recall. Beautiful song, though! They had 12 charted hits, all written, produced, and arranged by David Gates. Talented guy!

OTOH, Neil Sadaka wrote over 100 songs which charted, as did also Carole King, I believe.

Barry Mann wrote "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling", "(You're My) Soul & Inspiration", "Kicks", "Hungry", "We Gottea Get Outm of This Place", and many others. He only performed on one of his hits himself, "Who Put the Bomp(In the Bomp, Bomp, Bomp", which made #7, 1961. His real name was Barry Iberman, born in Brooklyn.
    Frank

Joe Riley and Mari North like this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I had moved on to marriage and working, and I was a big country Western & Folk song fan.

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Joe Riley Would "The City of New Orleans", by Arlo Guthrie be considered a Folk Song? Sept. 1972. Really appealed a lot, since it referred to the Illinois Central leaving Chicago for New Orleans. I grew up hiking along the IC tracks where they crisscrossed above the Chicago Burlington & Quincy!

Frank

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The song was probably more a train song than a folk song, @Frank Sanoica .

"Steve Goodman wrote this in 1970. He wrote the lyrics on a sketch pad after his wife fell asleep on the Illinois Central train, where they were going to visit his wife's grandmother.

Goodman wrote about what he saw looking out the windows of the train and playing cards in the club car. Everything in the song actually happened on the ride.

After he returned home he heard the train was scheduled to be decommissioned due to lack of passengers. He was encouraged to use this song to save the train. He retouched the lyrics and released it on his first album in 1971". http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2878

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Arlo Guthrie was a seriously interesting songwriter and singer.
    Even though he didn't write the City of New Orleans song (which has always been one of my favorites), he sang some that I (think) he actually did write.
    Here is one of them. I guess we can't say that this is not a folk song either, @Joe Riley , because it is more of a motorcycle song, or maybe just a fine fairy tale song........

Joe Riley likes this.