Songs Of The 70's

Discussion in 'Decades' started by Susan Long, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

I was a big fan of Earth, Wind and Fire. I loved 'Boogie Wonderland'!

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I am still a big fan of Earth, Wind and Fire. "Reasons" is my favorite.

3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I was more of a Bruce Springsteen, The Who and Led Zeppelin fan myself. I also enjoyed Billy Joel and Elton John. However, I was more into late 70s bands, like AC/DC, Joan Jett, Blondie, Pat Benatar. I really preferred hard rock to pop, disco or folk rock. Anybody remember Jethro Tull with Ian Anderson playing the flute? Lynyrd Skynyrd was really big, I liked the southern rock genre. And who could forget Van Halen, The Police, Rush and Foreigner??

4. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember the band and the flute playing very clearly and I liked the sound they made.

In the 70s I also liked, and still like, the songs and music of Neil Young, Carole King, James Taylor, George Harrison, Leonard Cohen, Joe Cocker and Rod Stewart.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Except for some of the groups that were still around from the sixties, I thought music started to get boring in the 70s. More likely, it was my experiences that were changing. I had already graduated from high school, and had begun working, and was raising an adopted son before the 70s were over.

Joe Riley and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  6. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

Ruth, I was a huge Carole King fan! I played the 'Tapestry' album over and over on our stereo hifi. I enjoyed it so much, at one point, I had all the words memorized.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This song actually came out in the very late 1960's; but I didn't see a thread for the 60's songs, and I am going to just fit it in right here.
    Bobby and I were just at Walmart, and parents were letting their little kids run wild at the checkout lane, and we were talking about how we would NEVER have been allowed to act that way when we were little kids.
    I made the comment that it is a stange world we live in, and that started me thinking about this old song. It was one of my favorites back then; but we had no idea just how much stranger the world was going to get in the years to come.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the most enduring groups is of course the Stones, though they were not a favorite of mine. We always tended to hang with the "one-hit" wonders. Anyone remember the Blackbirds, Jonathan King, Sammy Johns, Status Quo (maybe '60s), Hues Corporation, to name a few? Frank

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was in grade school and alter high school during the 70s but I am aware of the songs because my brother was fond of listening to music on the radio when he is at home. He and his friends would be chatting in our garage while playing the radio. Songs that appeal to me are the slow and ballad. Barbra Streisand's Evergreen is one and another is Barry Manillow's Ships which has a touching story. But maybe I like most the songs of the group called Bread which remind me of those days - Aubrey, Diary, If, and more.

10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I associate Barry Manilow with the 70's. Mandy was one of my favorites, but he had so many great songs. He was defintely a favorite, one thing you might not know @Corrie Henson was that he was a great commercial artist McDonald's and other commercial jingles that were popular in the day. I think he first got famous because of his jingles. He is a fan favorite. I would go to see him in concert.

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Corie Henson Bread-- Wonderful group! David Gates lead singer, he wrote all the hits himself, I believe. "The Diary" has a heartbreaking twist in it, so cleverly did Gates word it. Frank

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

B. S. & T said: "I know there ain't no Heaven, but I pray there ain't no Hell," "If it's peace you find in dyin', only my dyin' will tell!"
    I think 1968, though.
    Frank

13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I liked them too. In the 70's I was a young wife and mother of two but still listened to some of the music, not as much as in the 60's though.

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

15. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Speaking of Barry Mannilow and his success as a jingle composer, the following are commercials he composed the music for. Corrie may not be familiar with them, but the majority of Americans would be.
    he created:
    • McDonald's, "You Deserve a Break Today"
    • Stridex, "Give Your Face Something to Smile About"
    • Band-Aid, "Stuck on Band-Aid"
    • KFC, "Grab a Bucket of Chicken"
    • State Farm, "Like a Good Neighbor"
    Maybe his success with jingles, gave him the confidence to perform on big stage venues.