Songs Of The 50s

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sheldon Scott, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Jive Bunny was so good, very clever
    I 'did' dance like that, once upon a time :)

Bess Barber, Nancy Hart and Tom Galty like this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I was born in '56. I suspect this music and dance style had something to do with it. :D

@Tom Galty Great post!! I watched it on YouTube so I could send a copy to my daughter.

Don Alaska, Patsy Faye and Tom Galty like this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

"You got me rockin' and a rollin'
    Rockin' and a reelin'
    Barber Ann Ba Ba,
    Ba Barber Ann!

Beach Boys, 1960s

Hal

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Registered

"you got me rockin'

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Good stuff!

Funny how we never had to strain to understand the lyrics...

6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

That is why I don't even try to listen to music anymore. It is just screaming

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

And if you do hear the lyrics, it's about killing the police, bitches and hos or whatever sentimental and heart-felt feeling. :rolleyes:

8. John Brunner

I was "of age" when the Stones, The Who, and bands of that era hit...but I played a brass instrument. While everyone else was rockin' out, I was listening to the Big Bands of the 40s as well as a lot of contemporary jazz and big band musicians, composers and singers. I was always of the mind that if you can't play without electricity, it's not real music...from my teen years and beyond.

I still rarely listen to rock music. It's mostly jazz & stuff from the 40s. And classical & symphonic. With a little bluegrass tossed in.

Hal Pollner and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

John Brunner, you're a man of my Musical Tastes!

I also like Big Band and Contemporary Jazz from the 40s, as well as Classical, Folk, and Pop from the 40s and 50s.

When I played in our Senior Citizens Dance Band, I played Rhythm Guitar (chord progressions only), as well as Bass, both electric and stand-up. I also filled in occasionally on Drums and Piano.

The only Rock album in my collection is the Beach Boys Greatest Hits.

What horn did you play?

I have a newfound respect for you!
    Hal 152 (3).JPG

10. John Brunner

This is pretty interesting, Hal.

I've also enjoyed astronomy since I was a kid, but do not have the equipment that you own. I keep threatening to buy myself a mid-end Meade. Then I saw your train set. I still have my Marx train set I got what I was 5 or 6 years old (that would be late 1950s.) I used to set it up every Christmas.

I played trumpet...never very well. But I always enjoyed it. I played from the age of 9 well into my 30s (just for pleasure.) High school band was my social outlet (marching, pep band, symphonic, jazz, brass choir.) My first couple of years in high school, a small group of us would march the halls playing Dixieland the morning of football games. (Can't do that anymore.) I've played graduation ceremonies at D.A.R. Constitution Hall (yeh, I've been in the back where all the real musicians had been over the decades), as well as the original Feline Fine Arts Center at Wolf Trap in northern Virginia (it burned down and was rebuilt.)

I have 5 siblings. We all took music lessons. My older brother went on to a career in The Army Band (Pershing's Own.) He played trombone and Herald trumpet, and help found their jazz band (The Army Blues.) He had pics of himself with H. Humphrey, Reagan, etc. One younger brother was truly a virtuoso trombone player. He belonged to big bands when he was a teenager, and was always first chair. He made a living as a car mechanic...ended up starting his own business and retiring from it in 2018.

I keep threatening to take piano lessons in my retirement. I have a small electric piano (not a full keyboard.) I don't know why I've not got off my butt to do it. I want to learn how to read bass clef.

I love listening to the blues and jazz singers of the early 20th century. If you read about Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, etc, you'll see how they were very very strong women in a male-dominated industry. That's real music. That is true soul. Comes through in every note. Like you, I enjoy most anything except rock (and country), although I'll tune into rock occasionally. I've had XM radio since the early days, and had a set up at my jobs. When I would share an office, I let my office mate pick the music so I'd get exposed to (and learn about) stuff I would not have selected myself. That's how I discovered Robert Cray. And Pearl Jam.

ps: Love the pic. A band of old guys and a female drummer with the BINGO board in the background. Classic. (A.V. Senior Citizens Club?)

11. Hal Pollner

Registered

Right, John...that was the Apple Valley Senior Citizens Club band. Here's another picture:

Our instrumentation was Tenor Sax, Trombone, amplified Chromatic Harmonica, Piano, Bass, & Drums.

We played "oldies" from the 20s through the 50s...even Ragtime!

The picture was taken on the piano player's 99th birthday. All in the band except myself and the Drummer Lady are now deceased.

I am self-taught on the piano, and am "chord-driven", since I played chord-style guitar for 40 years before taking up the Pianoforte. Sometimes I'll sit at the keyboard and play interesting chord progressions, and listeners will comment: "That was pretty...what song was that?" and I'll have to tell them it was just an exercise in chord movements and key changes!

Here I am at my Parlor Grand Piano:
    Hal

Attached Files:

• 166.jpg
      166.jpg
      File size:
      155.5 KB
      Views:
    • 078.jpg
      078.jpg
      File size:
      79.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  12. John Brunner

Looks like fun.

You ever listen to any Toots Theilemans? I have a chromatic kicking around here somewhere. My dad had it in WW2.

13. Hal Pollner

Registered

Heck Yes! Toots is the Virtuoso on the Hohner Chromatic!

Hal

14. John Brunner

Very few musicians bring tears to my eyes when they play.

Toots is on the top of that list.

15. Hal Pollner

Registered

I like his performance on "Bluesette".

Hal