Something Old New Again

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Jenn Windey, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I could have swore there was a topic called music here someplace, if I missed it mod feel free to move this.

Today I saw a great video of all these kids playing Led Zeppelin's Kashmir on the Xylophone. It really was pretty good. The kids were about 7 years old. I got to talking about this over lunch and my friend asked me what I thought about younger people finding the music we listened to and making it relevant again. Interestingly the things "discovered" are not always what was mainstream then.

I thought about this and wondered if it is because of the trend by hipsters to love all things retro, and because they like vintage they are just finding stuff they think could be cool. You know at second hand shops or as hand me downs?

Or is it more likely that what is happening is this- because of the electronic age and vast libraries these things are being found simply out of sheer numbers of people that liked it in the past?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not bad at all.

3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know why it is. But when my son was a teenager, he would discover this "new" old band and (because I had a huge CD library), he would always try to stump me - he'd come in and say, "Have you ever heard of Velvet Underground?" (or so other 60s/70s band). I would get up, reach over and pull out a CD and say, "You mean this?". 9 times out of 10 I would have at least one CD by the newly discovered band.

It's funny though, I would have completely forgotten about the band, but when he would mention it, I would remember how much I liked them when I was younger, and I'd have a new favorite again, for a while.

Now that he's 25, he's started to discover is own thing - he's into Indie music, so I haven't heard of anything he's listening to now. I kind of miss the old days!

4. Ken Anderson

One day, my son came home with the Pink Floyd album, "The Wall." When I said something about Pink Floyd, he acted as if it wasn't something that I would like. He had a hard time believing that I had seen them in concert three times. If you remember, prior to "The Wall," they had sort of died out for a while, and he thought they were a new band that, of course, I wouldn't be interested in. I had to point out that they had been together as a band almost as long as he had been alive.

Jenn Windey likes this.
  5. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I think you would like some of the Indie or Alt music today Mal, it reminds me of the music we had right before the disco era. Sort of soft and catchy. I get to listen to a lot of the older music when I go to the laundromat or the gym so I often feel quite reminiscent. There was a point where the music about 6 years ago or so was barely worth listening to, maybe it was just me at that time but I did not like much of it then. To loud and brash for my taste and that says volumes since I like metal music.

Back in the early 70's we had a nice music mix, this was right before we had the FM radio stations. I tell my son about how we used to listen to things like AC/DC and right after that you would get something like Anne Murray singing snowbird or maybe the Eagles or CW McCall... It didn't matter back then because all the music was mixed together, I don't recall there being different stations for genres of music till much later. I think I liked that because you got to hear so much great stuff.

@Ken Anderson I am so jealous three times!- I saw the wall just once and I have to tell you it was probably one of the greatest shows I ever saw in my life. This was about two years ago and my son went with as well as most of the family. The tickets were a Christmas gift from my sister.

6. Ken Anderson

I saw them in Milwaukee, and at The Forum in Long Beach, California. I lived within of The Forum for a while, and everyone played there sooner or later, it seemed. My son and I saw several concerts there, although The Wall was not one of them. The Grateful Dead were terrific in concert; the whole thing was like one continuous song, since they didn't stop between songs. Although they weren't one of my favorite bands, I took my son to see Yes, because he wanted to, and they were very good in concert.