Something Fishy About Christianity?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Logan Bellgamin, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Logan Bellgamin

Logan Bellgamin Well-Known Member
    Registered

I sometimes use a fish >< )))°> as part of my posts. Fancier one follows....

[​IMG]

Christian "folklore" gives us the following story...

• In the years following the ascension of the resurrected Jesus to heaven, the Christian church grew rapidly.
    • Christians soon found themselves to be the subjects of persecution by both the Romans and the Jews.
    • In many locales, it became dangerous to be known as a Christian.
    • Thus, when two strangers met and thought maybe they were fellow believers, one of them would draw, on the ground, the upper half of the fish symbol.
    • If the other person was a Christian, he or she would add the bottom half of the fish.
    • In other words, the fish was like a password (or so the story goes).

Whether or not the preceding tale is true, we do know the reason WHY the fish symbol came into use within Christianity.

• It comes from the Greek word IXOYE.
    • IXOYE is the Greek word ichthus, pronounced ikh-thoos' -- the Greek word for "fish."
    The individual letters I, X, O, Y, E, are the first letters of five Greek words as follows...

• I - iota, the first letter in the Greek word Iesous, meaning Jesus
    • X - chi, the first letter in the Greek word Christos, meaning Christ
    • O - theta, the first letter in the Greek word Theos, meaning God
    • Y - upsilon, the first letter in the Greek word Huios, meaning Son
    • E - sigma, the first letter in the Greek word Soter, meaning Savior
    Thus ichthus, meaning "fish," is a transliterated acronym from Greek words meaning...

Iesous Christos Theos Huios Soter

Jesus Christ - God, Son, Savior
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, Greek Iesus would be pronounce Yay-sus -- NO "J" sound whatsoever. Iesus was the attempt, in Greek, to transliterate the sound of Jesus's Hebrew name which is ~Yeshua, short for Yehoshua.

Early Bible translations into Germanic languages transliterated Yeshua as "Jesus" because "J" in Germanic languages is pronounced as English pronounced "Y". Examples: jodel is pronounced in Germany as "yodel" & Johanne (as in Johann Sebastian Bach or Johann Strauss) is pronounced Yohann. Thus, "Jesus" in a Germanic translation would have been pronounced "Yesoos," NOT "Gee-zus".

Does all of this blather make any difference? Yes, a bit. For instance Mt 1.21 says, "And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins."

Mt 1.21 is somewhat confusing because the name "Jesus" (hard J) has nothing to do with "save" whereas His Hebrew name, transliterated "Yeysus," means save, saved, salvation -- and that makes Mt 1.21 very much more meaningful.

This sort of thing accounts for many of the so-called errors and inconsistencies in the Bible.

By the way, the Greek language has a precise word for "hell" but that word NEVER appears in the New Testament. Moreover, there is NO Biblical Hebrew word for "hell," per se. Ergo, "hell" is a somewhat puzzling translation. I draw no conclusions from those facts -- for now.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Haven’t given much thought to Christian folklore. Didn’t really know any existed but sure there’s large bodies of work I know nothing of. But there are things I wanted to do, wanted to learn but never did, one of which was to play the Uke.

3. Logan Bellgamin

Logan Bellgamin Well-Known Member
    Registered

Learning to play ukulele is pretty easy. A uke has 4 strings & an unmaimed human has 4 fingers -- perfect match. Playing a uke is like fishing: the time spent doing it is NOT deducted from your allotted lifespan. :D