Some, But Not All, Breads Give Me Heartburn, And I Can't Figure Out Why

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by John Brunner, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, it's obvious that you are a Medical Mystery. :D

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was just reading some more, and this time I searched on "yeast + heartburn" rather than "bread + heartburn." (Lots of folks have grain issues, so it clouds the subject.)

It's possible that the high-yeast recipes are messing with the candida in my gut. But as you said, the yeast should be dead by the time it's baked, although some things I read claim there's a low survival rate. So perhaps all that yeast concentrated in only 8 rolls increases the per-serving survived volume.

I just remembered a fast-rise roll recipe I have that does not give me problems, so I took a look at it. TWO TABLESPOONS of yeast to 5 cups of flour! In fact, it fully rises in only 20 minutes!!! The difference? This recipe calls for the yeast to bloom for 10 minutes before adding it to the flour. So maybe @Bobby Cole is on to something. But this recipe also has 2/3 cup instant milk powder, so perhaps that takes the edge off somehow.

As I said, it's tough to find an answer because the yeast subject is tangled up with peoples' grain issues.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Have you ever tried beer bread? No yeast, just beer. Add whatever herbs and spices and a touch of cayenne and off ya go. Or just plain beer, salt and flour. The alcohol is baked out so need to fear that.
    It’s extremely heavy, has a low rise and best eaten fresh out of the oven (as always) but it goes well with soups and yes, with ham hocks and beans in place of corn bread.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Nope.

I'll have to try it. I have 3 different types of beer on hand (for various cooking purposes.)

But again, this is not a universal yeast bread issue, just those specific recipes.