Some Birds Are Bullies

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I knew that blue jays, crows and grackles could be aggressive, but I wasn't aware that white winged doves were, also. I mainly put the bird seed/feed out for the cardinals, mourning doves, and smaller birds like yellow rumped warblers, but over the past few days I've heard squabbling outside and have seen the white winged doves (newcomers) chasing off the mourning doves.

When the white winged doves are on the balcony the cardinals don't come, either. I just heard confrontational sounds and looked out and saw two white winged doves and one blue jay eating. Since I'm here in the office after feeding them, I can somewhat control who eats because the bully birds skedaddle when I approach the door/window, while the others know I'm harmless, and will stay for a bit even with me watching.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't have bird feeders because I have a bullie dog. If see a lot of birds in the yard I make sure I make a lot of noise opening the patio doors before I let my dog out.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to have bird feeders, but the only places to hang them are downstairs, and I don't actually go outside downstairs much. That's why I place the seeds along the balcony railing, and it also enables me to have a good view and vantage point for picture taking. The birds leave quickly if they see a lot of movement by the windows/door, or hear it opening. I had a balcony in the past that backed up to woods, and had a bird family (I don't know which type, probably finches or other similar small birds) that would come back year after year and nest a container I had out there. My cats would be out there with me, and the birds would be slightly above them, with no issues, it was very cool.

Now that my older male is gone, he's the one who would keep the older female and mid range male in line with regard to hunting, and now they are very boisterous on the balcony. I came upstairs last night to check on something, and could tell Ryan had found something in the house. I can always tell from his/her behavior. Lo and behold, I saw something moving slowly over by the exterior wall, and it was a small green frog. I put it out in one of my planters on the balcony, and I hope it survived. Who knows how much harassment it suffered before I found it.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have here what we call the "naughty birds" that chase stray dogs. Just like your description, the naughty birds would jump on the back of the dogs and peck on its back. It's a good thing that we were able to capture some scenes to have an evidence. We had uploaded the video on youtube with 2,364 views now. With doves, I think they chase birds too because our pigeon was doing that. But that's another story.

Here is the link of that video on youtube -