Solving The Woodchuck Problem

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Boris Boddenov, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hope I don't upset any PETA folks.

For a portion along the eastern property line, someone once planted two dozen mulberry trees, both black and white, the fruit of which is highly desired by ‘chux. Should mention that the property line has a barbed wire fence. Their burrows can cause knee and ankle injuries, and trap garden tractor tires. Their mounds when shoveled back into their holes reappear shortly after. The State OKs their destruction.

First, I tried battery-powered noisemakers that the ‘chux destroyed. Next was fly bait mixed with Dr. Pepper in aluminum tins. This was supposed to build up CO2 which rodents, who are allegedly unable to burp die from CO2 poisoning. This failed too. Smoke bombs work but you need to cover both holes after dropping it in, and the ‘chux were smart enough to build one of their holes on the other side of the fence.

I’ve never hunted but firearms were partially effective. On one occasion, two were mating in the open. I was able to walk to within a few yards of these animals who are usually wary and difficult to approach. The left barrel got the male; the right barrel the female; and the crows and turkey buzzards cleaned the mess. Ironically, this was on Valentine’s Day.

I decided to remove the trees and the farmer/neighbor was OK with that. Got most of the trees into firewood until musculoskeletal issues appeared. Shoulda done that in the first place.

Frank Sanoica likes this.