Solar Powered Airplane Is Flying Around The World

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A solar powered airplane has been flying around the world, and has done it without using a single drop of fuel. To me, this is incredible !
    I know that we are coming a long way with the things that we can use solar power for; but flying an airplane is not one of the things that I would have thought of. I guess it gets enough sunlight in the batteries during the day that it can keep flying at night.
    I don't think that this is going to become the air transportation of the future, at least until it is improved upon, because the solar plane only flies at about 80 mph, much much slower than our commerical planes fly.
    But still, it is an interesting new development.
    I think that the electric vehicles that can solar -charge are going to become popular; and maybe the solar airplane will work out , too.

https://www.rt.com/usa/340780-solar-pulse-plane-california/

K E Gordon likes this.
  2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Saw in the news that the Solar Impules 2 airplane had left Hawaii to go to CA.

Hawaii was part of this historic flight journey of the flight of the Impulse 2!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

This is one of the the amazing things about the current time we live in. All of these technological innovations that are true marvels. The things are the options that we can use to make our life better. This is one of the amazing things that you can get to understand. It is one of the possibilities that are truly amazing. It is just one of the things you can use in your self.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I do think this is an incredible feat, however, I wouldn't want to be riding in it. I find it scary that the batteries overheated. Obviously they are learning as they go, but I wouldn't want to be inside the plane (or on the ground) if the batteries overheated or something else failed, and the plane went down. I'd love to have solar panels here, and would definitely consider a solar charger or solar cooker, but I find this a bit scary, at least until more is known, and the method perfected.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Indeed solar energy is going places. But with the airplane or even for a drone, I would rather see a perfect solar energy system for a car first before those flying vehicles. Isn't it scary to think that the power generator would fail while the plane is up in the air? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant but it is more logical to use solar energy for a car than for a plane.

In one tv news report, I have seen a demo of a drone powered by solar battery. However, the testing was done inside a hangar. And the inventor is a teenager. The drone flew several times around the hangar to demonstrate its power.