Solar Energy For The Home

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Yvonne Smith, May 1, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Tesla corporation owner Elon Musk has released his new battery system for the home. It is designed to store solar energy and can be used by people who are living off-grid, and also as a part-time energy saving device for people who have another energy source (such as commercial power).
    The unit designed for home use will cost about $3,000, and the one for businesses has not been released yet; but will obviously be much larger, and cost a lot more.
    Elon Musk is one of the people that I am really impressed with, and it seems like he is trying to design products that will help conserve fuel and electrical energy, and use more solar power; which we have an abundance of.

http://rt.com/usa/254841-tesla-home-batteries-revealed/

2. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

“The issue with existing batteries is that they suck,” the inventor said announcing Tesla Energy division. “They are expensive, unreliable and bad in every way.”
    HAHAHA! Just cut to the chase! I love it!
    Actually this is pretty awesome. I'd do anything to lower my electric bills! This thing would pay for itself real fast.

4. Josiah Page

Josiah Page Veteran Member
    Registered

During an earlier chapter of my life my wife and I lived on a mountain in the Arkansas Ozarks miles from the grid. After living completely without electricity for a couple of years, I installed some solar panels (c. 1970's) And bought 12 second hand telephone company lead acid batteries. Each battery weighed 180 lbs. What a chore they were constantly monitoring their water level and charging status because if they seriously over charged they might explode. Still they did provide us with 12 volt electricity even after five overcast days in the winter and in 17 years of operation we never lost power once. Needless to say things have come a long way and domestic solar systems without grid backup are entirely affordable. I see a very bright future for domestic solar electricity.

Admin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Amused with solar power, we bought a garden light that runs on solar. It has 1 battery that is charged by the sunlight. Not really expensive but not cheap either. We planted it in the corner of our garden. That solar garden light lasted for 1 month. The battery wouldn't charge anymore so that means dead.

Before that garden light, we had plans of acquiring solar panels to provide power in lighting our night lights. You see, we have a light in terrace, 2 in the garage, 1 in the backyard and 1 in the grotto - all night lights to protect us from intruders. But with the sad experience in solar power, we have shelved that plan.