Social Security Numbers Of 21.5 Million People Stolen

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

NEWS
    US SAYS HACKERS STOLE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS FROM 21.5 MILLION PEOPLE IN RECENT DATA BREACH

[​IMG]
    Updated 4 mins ago
    US says hackers stole Social Security numbers from 21.5 million people in recent data breach <---this is the extent of the story.

This is news in 2015. I can't imagine journalists of old posting something like this. http://abc13.com/news/us-says-hacke...-million-people-in-recent-data-breach/838216/

More information will be added, as it becomes available. Anything to get page clicks, I guess.

2. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I wish they'd steal them all. Maybe that would render them useless, and the government could no longer track us. LOL That might be a good thing!

3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Not the first time this has happend unfortunately. It has happened before in fact, I think it happened a few months back. The frightening thing is just how vulnerable our social security numbers are these days. This is such viable information to a person's identity yet now a days it can be more easily obtained then ever before, thanks in part to the Internet Which is even more of a frightening thing to think about.

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

Now, a day later, there's an actual story to go along with the headline, albeit a very short one. Here's an excerpt: " the government was increasingly confident that China's government, and not criminal hackers, was responsible for the extraordinary theft of personal information." which isn't very comforting. I'm not any more content that the Chinese government has my information than to think that criminal hackers do.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

With no prof the US is always pointing fingers. They have a history of this who every the US is mad at that week is the guilty party

6. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, this is some really... disturbing stuff. How could the US government not keep them in a better-encrypted environment? What are they going to do about it in the future? This seems like it's really insecure for US citizens.

Boy, am I glad we don't have hackers against us in Romania.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

The government doesn't seem to think it's necessary to keep the information of the citizens secure, at least as long as we keep paying the taxes that fund their salaries.

8. John Donovan

Registered

I am really sad for you folks in the States. I really think it wasn't that bad when I left the country, but it seems that the current leadership is bringing it to its knees. It ain't going all that well in Romania either (poor salaries and pensions, poor leadership decisions regarding just about everything), but at least we don't have hackers knocking on our door.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

It's probably only a matter of time. If there's anything to be gotten, they'll show up, virtually, of course, since they're too cowardly to show their faces. I wish those in power cared about those they serve, and remembered which direction the power is supposed to flow.

10. John Donovan

Registered

Thing is, we don't have hackers against us because many hackers are from Romania. In fact, there's one city here which is famous for its huge population of hackers.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Registered

I wasn't aware of that. I know there are lots in Russia and China, as well as North Korea and here, of course. I'm sure they exist everywhere, but do the ones there target the governments and large corporations, or mainly individuals?

12. John Donovan

Registered

I've seen a lot of news articles regarding our hackers. They're pretty much kids, ripping off people by making copies of huge sites and stealing their credit card information through that. Pretty much intelectual and capable scammers.