Social Security Cola

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just reporting what I read from The annual trustee reports on Social Security and Medicare; they stated 2.2
    Old enough to know people can do anything they want with numbers.:)
    Hoping for the best.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

That will mean about $30 for me I think...they'll probably raise Medicare but as long as I'm staying where I am or even a little extra, it's all fine by me.

Just don't cut anything. :)

Tim Burr likes this.
  3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

My Social Security, Military retirement and VA disability are all tied to the same 'index', so I get whatever they decide on for cola.
    I am with you on it can stay the same, just don't take anymore from me...:eek:

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Active Member
    Registered

That would have been this projection... from pg 116... https://www.ssa.gov/oact/tr/2017/tr2017.pdf

On page 117, it also mentions 1.5% on a very similar looking table. When estimating something over such a long period of time, a range of likely assumptions must be considered, which is also stated several times.

https://www.ssa.gov/cola/

More specifically... The CPI-W average of July, August and September is compared to the previous year.

None of which is to dispute the potential for 2.2%, but it would require a serious bout of inflation with 2/13 of the quarter already passed. If gasoline were to jump roughly 60¢ a gallon starting tomorrow and holding on through September, it might achieve 2.2% increase on the Quarter's average over last year.

5. Harry Havens

Registered

Whatever your current S.S. payment being received, will stay the same. There is a no harm clause to Medicare increases eroding current S.S.

I suspect that Medicare will not gobble up all the S.S. increase for 2018. We won't know for sure until November.

6. Harry Havens

Registered

Medicare Drug Premiums Expected to Dip in 2018
    Some good news... maybe. As for Part B, I have been reading those currently paying $110 ~ $134 could see premiums in the $121 range for 2018. This is due to bracket changes for the higher income groups. With an early estimate of 1.5% SS cola, there might actually be some gains. However, nothing is official until the fat lady sings or a fat official or somebody else.

7. Harry Havens

Registered

The inflation report for July, 2017 has been released.
    However, C.O.L.A is based on CPI-W.
    Note that rounding is DOWN to the nearest tenth of a percent.

The annual rate of inflation for CPI-W is...
    IF, last year's 3rd quarter trend holds true this 3rd quarter, the August report will show the CPI-W shallowing to 1.5% over previous year, before jumping back up to 1.6% in September.

Barring some inflationary event... 1.6% seems highly likely, imo. As for Medicare, I have read projections of $121~$125. For those enrolling in Medicare last year, this means a decrease in deductions as well as an increase in S.S.