So .. What's for Dinner?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Mal Campbell, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

This is my first 'real food' in a while, I've been on a bland diet, and am trying out a delicious chicken sandwich (I cooked up the chicken burgers and froze them a while ago), with toasted bread, mayo, dill relish, and a little salt and pepper. :D So yummy, with a cup of hot tea!

Yvonne Smith and Sheldon Scott like this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad you're eating real food again, Diane.

Yesterday I cooked New York strip steaks, baked potato with butter, sour cream and chives and served with a platter of peeled and sliced tomatoes and cucumber wedges. With a glass of lemonade.

Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

I am going shopping today, so I don't have a lot of time, I usually keep meals in the freezer, so I will have rice, bbq pork and broccoli. I love rice.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks, Sheldon! That sounds delicious, when I'm under the weather (usually resulting in dehydration), I crave sliced tomatoes and cucumber, I guess because of their water content, so that sounds extra yummy right now. So many people pile a bunch of toppings on their baked potatoes, and that's o.k. sometimes, but I'm somewhat of a purist, and I usually eat mine that way, with butter and sour cream, and sometimes chives.

@Allison Schuck That sounds like something I would prepare, as well. I tend to have rice in the fridge often, so I can pair it with veggies and meat or shrimp.

5. Diane Lane

Registered

Grilled cheese and cream of tomato soup :D, with a nice cup of tea.

6. Allison Schuck

Registered

I had the same thing as last night because there was lots left. I could eat rice all the time.

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Here is our dinner for tonight which also happens to be our lunch for today. It is sauteed mongo beans soup with moringa. The main ingredients here is mongo beans and fried pork belly. It is cooked separately - the mongo beans in a cauldron and the fried pork in a frying pan (frying it after boiling for 15 minutes to make it tender and crispy). When cooked, that's the time to mix and put in some flavoring for one boil before serving. Here is the cauldron right after putting in the moringa leaves for the one last boil... IMG_4841 mongo caldero.JPG

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

What's the purpose of adding the leaves, flavor or bulk? Looks good although the leaves might bother me. However the final boil might do the trick. I've been on a diet of some kind for over a year. Last year lost down from 226# to 205#. Have recently gone back on a heavy diet with an average daily calorie count of 1300. I'm down to 197.5#. I want to get down to 185. The hard part is still ahead. Today, I'd like to pig out on something, maybe a meal like Sheldon Scott had yesterday.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

It is summer time in Alabama and it is hot, hot, hot. I do not run the a/c because I am on a very small income and cannot afford to, so we use the slow cooker and microwave a lot. Last night,,, or yesterday morning,,, my daughter put boneless chicken thighs in the slow cooker with cream of chicken soup and cut up fresh mushrooms. She served it with rice and green beans. There is leftover chicen and gravy, so she is going to chop up the chicken and reheat it and put it over microwave baked potatoes with a dollop of sour cream on them and some kind of a green vegie. It will be quick and easy and not heat things up in the house.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

That don't sound too bad, Joyce. We've been using the slow cooker more in this hot weather and the microwave. Later this evening my wife said she was going to cook some mushrooms and other veges out on the grill.

11. Allison Schuck

Registered

That looks so delicious and nourishing Corie. I love mongo beans. Sometimes I cook them and put them over rice.
    Tonight I am having a sundried tomato, bowtie mac salad, and a couple of red bean steamed buns.

12. Diane Lane

Registered

On tonight's menu: Tuna mac 'n cheese with green beans, and for dessert, peach crostata.

13. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Today I made hamburgers, with mustard and sliced beet pickles on whole wheat buns. Potato chips and homemade onion dip too.

14. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

The other day, someone in Facebook posted a chili dish that looked like chili con carne. This made me remember that the last time we had chili beans was long ago. So I prepared a list of what to buy for that dish and here it is. However, I was not the one who cooked it because it is a great effort, hahahaaa. And since the official Cook of the house relented, so I let him do the cooking. Obviously, beans is the main ingredient of our chili beans with the matching beef cubes. And for garnishing, there is the green bell pepper and carrots. By the way, the chili that we use are the small red pepper, the fresh ones.

Here is the photo of that dinner with buttered toast... IMG_5424 chili beans.JPG

Holly Saunders and Sheldon Scott like this.
  15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Tonight we are having chow mein with veggies and spam. Here in Hawaii we're the number one State for eating Spam. We have Spam Jam every year! It's a simple recipe:
    I used only half a pkg. of chow mein. Warm frying pan-spray olive oil Pam & add coconut oil and olive oil to taste. I used veggies we have on hand. Cut round onion bite size about a quarter cup. A quarter cup of green bell peppers. Cut 2 slices of Spam. Put in pan and with low heat start cooking all ingredients. My Mom likes a little kick with her food so I add a few drops of Chili Sesame oil. Cook till veggies are tender. I had some zucchini so I sliced it thin so it'll cook up with the onions and green bell peppers. I add Oyster Sauce for taste, say about a table spoon or less if you like it less salty tasting. I test tasted it and it's delicious. It gives a different kind of dinner for the week. :) You can substitute the flavoring with what you like.

Sheldon Scott likes this.