So Much Asparagus

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, May 14, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We've been looking for and trying new recipes.

My wife made some asparagus and ham soup that was really good.

Last year, Denise from another forum posted a recipe from McCormick's web site for Ginger, asparagus stir fry that I've made several times. The recipe calls for chicken which I've used twice but I also used the same recipe with shrimp and with beef.

Yesterday I made some battered and deep fried asparagus spears.

All the above were really good.

Anyone have asparagus recipes to share?

2. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I would try steaming it, then adding it to a white gravy with bacon bits.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Steaming is the way we have always cooked it before. The gravy and bacon sound good.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  4. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I love asparagus and as far as I am concerned there is no such thing as to much! I could eat it every day. My favorite way is just steamed with a bit of salt/pepper and butter on it. I also love cream of asparagus soup. Sadly, I am the only one in the family who will eat it so I do not have it often. My Mom used to grow it in her garden and I always loved to see the delicate fronds waving in the breeze,,, just letting me know the roots were storing up energy for the next years bounty!

Richard Paradon likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I really don't relish asparagus but this reminds me of my husband's original recipe. We call it American chop suey as against the Chinese chop suey using leftover vegetables. Well, here goes the American chop suey...

Ingredients: chicken meat or pork or both (1/2 kilo), broccoli (1 head), cauliflower (1 head), asparagus (10 to 20 spears)
    condiments and other ingredients - cooking oil, salt, margarine, garlic (1/2 clove), onion (2 heads)

Procedure: Boil the meat until tender and slice to bite size. Sautee the crushed garlic and minced onions in cooking oil. When wilted, toss in the sliced meat. Add margarine for slow frying. When cooked, add the broth (where you boiled the meat). Upon boiling, toss in the sliced broccoli and halved asparagus. After 1 minute, toss in the cauliflower.

Be careful not to overcook the vegetables. Best served with steamed rice.