So, I Tried Making Tortillas

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, May 12, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I got some 'instant' masa at Kroger, found it on discount, so thought I'd give it a whirl. It wasn't too bad for a first attempt, but they definitely weren't anything I'd take a picture of, let alone share. I got the craving late in the day, which meant I wasn't as patient as I needed to be. I'm also going to look around for other recipes, because the one on the masa package was lousy. The dough came out way too moist. It probably would have been good for lining the corn husks for tamales, but definitely wasn't appropriate for tortillas.

Speaking of tamales, I still hope to make those someday, although hopefully not until I have a much better kitchen. Next time I make the tortillas, I'll use a different recipe, and I will definitely use a rolling pin or some other method of flattening out the dough, because my hands just weren't up to the task. Towards the end, I did use my rolling pin, but I used it on a wooden cutting board, and I think the next time, I'll break out my marble pastry board instead, because the coolness and smoothness of the marble might help with forming the tortillas.

Have y'all ever made tortillas? If so, do you have any hints? How about a nice tried and true recipe? My favorite are flour tortillas, but I wanted to try making them with the masa, since the package was so inexpensive. I wouldn't mind making my own corn tortilla chips, but I have to figure out the recipe and best method for making them first.

Krissttina Isobe and K E Gordon like this.
  2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmmm, sorry you had so much trouble with them Diane Lane. I don't think I would ever try making tortilla's because they are cheap enough. Why bother? My roomie keeps talking about wanting to make Indian fry bread. I actually have a mix I bought for that one time at the Museum of the Amercian Indian in DC. However, that has been in the pantry so long..I just don't even know if it would still be good. I just don't know. I will have to look at it again.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have made flour tortillas but I've never tried to make corn tortillas. I would think that corn tortillas would be more difficult since they have a far greater tendency to fall apart. Although I lived in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas for more than twenty years, my family is Swedish and I grew up in the UP of Michigan. My mother made something very much like flour tortillas, although a little thicker than most, but she called it fried bread. I had never heard or paid any attention to tortillas at that time so I'm just looking at it in retrospect, and I think they were very much the same. She only made them for herself though. It was something she made to snack on while she was cooking and if anyone else wanted any, we had to grab it and run.

4. Diane Lane

Registered

Ha, that's funny @Ken Anderson, I wonder why she didn't make them for everyone? Maybe it was one of those little treats she enjoyed keeping to herself. I'm learning that fry type breads are common in various different cultures. Back home, we would buy fried dough at fairs, and I loved that, but it was more of a treat, with powdered sugar or sugar and cinnamon, rather than a savory bread. Yes, I think you're right about flour tortillas being easier than corn, so I might try making those instead, and save the masa for tamales, if I can find an easy recipe.

@K E Gordon Hhomemade tortillas are far superior to store bought ones, which is why I want to make my own. I agree that the store bought ones are usually cheap (at least the mass produced ones), but HEB, a grocery store based in Texas, has a section in their larger shops where they will make tortillas fresh from scratch, and they're costlier, but also much tastier than the mass produced ones, and have a nicer consistency. I also try to avoid additives when I can, so prefer to know what goes into my food as much as possible. I don't get over to HEB much these days because of my vehicle, so I figured I'd try making them here. If you get the chance, try some freshly made tortillas, and you'll see a big difference.

Krissttina Isobe and K E Gordon like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I first moved to the Valley, there were a lot of neighborhood tortillarias, where they made them on the spot, but within a few years, they all disappeared, one by one. You're right though, the closer you can get to homemade, the better they are.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. K E Gordon

Registered

I have gone in the past to a restaurant in the DC area actually the Northern Virginia burbs called the Austin grill that made their own tortillas. It used to be kind of cool because you could watch most of the process, and watch them coming out on a little conveyor belt, kind of like doughnuts, but I didn't think they were that fantastic. They were warm that was about the best thing you could say about them. I think I will stick with the store bought ones personally.

Diane Lane and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

You know what there is a sale going on now a dozen corn tortillas for just a dollar. We're a small family and for 2 days we ate half of the tortillas and froze the rest till our next Mex dinner night. We like our corn tortillas with our spanish rice and refined beans with shredded cheese and fresh veggies topped off with sour cream. Mother doesn't like sour cream much though so she doesn't put any sour cream on her wrap. Don't warm it up too long in the pan before eating for it'll get chewy and is tough to eat.

K E Gordon and Von Jones like this.
  8. Wellll, considering how long I lived in California, and how many of my friends and neighbors were Mexican, I should be able to make good tortillas, but I can't. I think the reason theirs always came out great was they cooked the tortillas on flat, cast-iron skillets, whereas all I've had were traditional frying pans.
    To the best of my recollection, they used basic flour, Crisco, and some milk. Possibly a shot of baking powder, also.
    The tortillas were as big around as a dinner plate, thick, and delicious- much different from those scrawny lil things sold in grocery stores.
    Oh, and they prepared them on the countertop and used a rolling pin.

Diane Lane and K E Gordon like this.
  9. K E Gordon

Registered

Maybe a youtube video on tortilla making would fit the bill. I wonder how we ever learned to do anything without youtube? I guess people had to survive by actually talking to each other..lol. That seems to be a lost art! Anyway, tortillas are so common, I am thinking there has to be a how to video on them online. As for me, I would rather watch a video on how to make an apple pie from scratch, something I have never done, although I have made pumpkin pies from scratch..with mixed results. I mean from the actual pumpkin folks.

10. Diane Lane

Registered

Were they corn or flour @K E Gordon? I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference with corn tortillas, to be honest, but in my opinion, there's a world of difference between store bought and homemade flour tortillas.

I like the medium sized ones, not too small, and not the larger more doughy ones used for burritos. I'm more of a taco and enchilada person than burrito person, so that's probably why.

@Janice Martin Unfortunately, none of my Mexican friends make homemade tortillas or tamales. They think I'm crazy for wanting to bother making my own.

@Ken Anderson I do miss the more homemade style Mexican food I could get down in the Valley, especially the tortillas and tacos de lengua or barbacoa, those are more difficult to find up in this area. I doubt I'll ever make tacos de lengua, but I do buy them when I see them offered in a reputable place.

11. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Making tortillas isn't easy that's for sure. I remember years ago one of my sisters made flour tortillas these were actually quite good and far better than anything that came out of a package. But if I recall correctly these weren't as thin as a tortilla is suppose to be. This is why there is equipment such as a tortilla press that is used in the process but it takes time and effort that's for sure.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

All this talk about tortilla bread has made me hungry for some...so my daughter is bringing me home 3 beef soft taco supremes from Taco Bell. And I'm going to enjoy eating all 3 of them! :D

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Registered

Yum, those sound nice @Babs Hunt, and it's even nicer that she's bringing them to you :). I might try making some flour tortillas this weekend if I have enough energy. If not, I'll be making them soon. Hopefully they'll come out the way they're supposed to, and if so, I'll post a picture and the recipe I used to make them.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes its nice to be spoiled a little bit. It's even better that there is a mutual spoiling over here at my daughter's when I come to visit and help with my youngest grandchild. I'm glad you are feeling better Diane and enjoying cooking and some baking these days.

15. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Near my home is a small privately owned grocery store. In the store they have a tortilla machine that several ladies use to make fresh flour tortillas daily. If I arrive around 10:00 a.m. I can get fresh warm tortillas by the dozen. I love the feel of the warm tortillas in my hand as head to the cashier. God bless the tortilla ladies.