So How Are You Spending President's Day? Shopping? Working?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I spent the whole day watching PBS videos on my laptop. The one on General Douglas McArthur was outstanding and filled some gaps of my history education.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, I got up early to shovel a path from the front door to the driveway. Then I had to uncover the car and shovel the driveway out at least enough so that the plow guy would be able to get the rest of it. Then my glove hit the thing to activate the windshield wipers accidentally, activating them before the ice was completely melted off the windshield, breaking one of them. I bought a new set of wipers, not realizing how complicated they have gotten to be. After about an hour, I gave up on that and coaxed my wife into bringing them back to the auto parts store because I was too embarrassed to admit that I couldn't figure out how to install a windshield wiper. Someone at the auto parts store put the wipers on for her. Then we went shopping for a few things at the grocery store. The rest of the day I have alternated between falling asleep at my desk and actually working. Oh, and I did watch a move that I think had a black person in it so it's not as if I had entirely ignored Martin Luther King Day.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Made my breakfast of sausage links, two eggs, fried a cut-up potato, two slices of toast, coffee and OJ.. Were planning on going out for breakfast, but she didn't feel like it. Cereal was fine with her. Watched both Let's Make A Deal and Price Is Right, both with black people in them as host and contestants...…….so, we didn't ignore MLK Day either.

Ended up renting a movie out of Red Box called Crazy Rich Asians, that we had seen before and wanted to see again.

That was our MLK Day. Obviously nothing special, but did love my wife being home/off of work and paid for it.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I went to Curves, after that I stopped at Walgreens which is right there and picked up my levothyroxine prescription and my eyedrops.

My breakfast was fiber one.

Lunch I made a chicken and cheese quesadilla again and dinner I had tomato and roasted red pepper soup from TJs.

Plus numerous snacks during the day....had a banana and a pear...

I don’t really eat meals...I kind of graze most of the day but I never eat anything after 4:00 pm.

My downfall was some potato chips...too many while I watched Grace and Frankie which isn’t very good this season in my opinion.

Also did a load of laundry...for Pickles.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Did we do anything different? No, just the same things we would normally do.
    That said, I do wonder why MLK day is on the 21st day of January?

King was born on Jan. 15th, 1929 so his birthday doesn't have anything to do with it.
    The civil rights bill was signed July 2, 1964 so that's not it.
    He was assassinated on April 4th, and his "I have a dream" speech was Aug 28, '63. No relevance in either date as to why the special day to honor MLK is on Jan. 21.

Normally, when we set a date to honor someone it has some special meaning but since this one has no real significance other than it being another federal day off of work, it's derned hard to remember what happened to make yet another day to honor Dr. Martin Luther King.
    I liked the guy and he was the key instrument needed to establish the civil rights bill and help move the U.S. forward into a better age of understanding but I can not figure why the 21st is that special day to recognize his work.
    To me, if there has to be a special day to remember MLK, it would be in February when Black History Month is recognized.

6. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

It's a federal holiday celebrated on the Third Monday in January. So, the exact date changes yearly, which honors our American tradition of a three-day weekend.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah that's true but why even on the third Monday? What is the significance?

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think holidays dates have changed..now we combine Washington and Lincoln and call it Presidents’ Day ...think it’s on feb 18 this year.

When I was young...they each had their own day.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Well, it is near his birthday, right after his birthday. Gosh, he would have been ninety! He died so very young. Not even 40,

Patsy Faye and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Lulu Moppet

Registered

I spent the day the best way possible---in love with my grandson who will be 8 months old tomorrow! Peace & Love, the best way to commemorate Dr. King.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

lucky you! :)

12. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I remember that George Birthington's Washday was celebrated on Feb.22.

Hal

13. Lon Tanner

Registered

After a leisurely mid morning breakfast of fruit / poached eggs on toasted English Muffins I dug into some much needed paper work. The rest of my day will be spent reading and writing.

Mikhail Bulgakov likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife is working today and I'm doing laundry. Today, we are about 15 degrees above normal at 85. Where we are moving to, it's currently 15 degrees and "feels like" 6 degrees. Oh well, that's just the way winter weather is there (Colorado).

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Registered

I loved living in Littleton with my grand mother when I was in the 7th grade/ 1947. My grandpa had truck farm there since traveling from JOPLIN MISSOURI by wagon in 1885.

Mikhail Bulgakov likes this.