Smoking Rooms

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's not much of a trip but we're in a hotel in Caribou, Maine today because I have a meeting tonight in Houlton and another in Presque Isle tomorrow morning. This is a hotel I usually stay in when I am in Aroostook County but they were full today and had only a smoking room available. It's been a long time since I've been in a room where people smoked and it's just plain awful. I almost feel like buying an oxygen tank.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

During out last trip in Bangkok last March, there was a mess up in the booking and a smoking room was given to us. It's not bad except when the occupant of the adjacent room would be smoking, the odor seemed to penetrate the wall. It's a good thing that on the second day we were transferred to a no-smoking floor. It's ironic that my husband who used to be a smoker would be the one to point out the odor of smoke in the first room. He still has the nose for it after 10 years of quitting smoking.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

For us, if the only room/rooms available are the "smoking" ones, we go to another motel. We did stay in a room once that someone did smoke in it and it definitely smelled like it. It was a "non-smoking" one, but some folks just won't obey the rules. We ended up buying a deodorizer and it helped. Whenever we go somewhere for the night, we always take a "pull-up" deodorizer with us........just to make sure. Neither of us can stand the smell of cigarette smoke or cigars. For us, it's the non-smoking motels we try to choose to stay in.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like the idea that there are hotels that still have smoking rooms for those who smoke, but I'd rather not be in one.

Chris Ladewig and Joe Riley like this.