Smartphone Apps To Monitor Your Health

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that it is important for us, especially as seniors, to monitor our health as much as we can, and I have found that using my iPhone and health apps really helps me to do this.
    Of course, the most important thing is for us to do our best to take care of our health, exercise, eat healthy, get enough sleep, and all of that kind of stuff.
    However, I find that when I am keeping records of this and can look at the overall picture each day, it really helps me to keep on track, and I wanted to share some of the health apps that I have found to be useful for this.

The main app that connects everything together is the Health app. It comes already installed on all iPhones, so it might only be an Apple product; but probably other systems have a similar app. Most of the other apps will sync with the Health app, so you can have the overall information all in one place.

My Apple Watch tracks all of my exercise, including swimming, as well as keeping a constant monitor of my heart rate.

Carbmanager is the app that I use to track my food intake, and it is very easy to use (I like it much better than My Fitness Pal), and it shows me all of the nutritional components of each food that I eat, as well as tracking water intake.

Sleepmatic , combined with the Apple Watch, tracks my sleep patterns, so I can tell if I am resting well or not.

Heart Star is a blood pressure app. Although it does not check your BP itself, it does sync with many BP monitors, or you can add the readings manually. Since the BP cuff that I have does not sync with anything, I add the measurements in manually at this point.

My Apple Watch constantly monitors my pulse rate, but there is also a phone app called Cardiio that will check your heart rate using the camera and flashlight from your phone.

There are a lot of other health apps that would fit for special health needs, like for diabetics, so it can’t hurt to look though some of the available apps to see which ones meet your need for health monitoring.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Tim Burr and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope..thank you.... Made it soon be 70 years without any apps for health.Besides health app thingies make me anxious.
    I do take blood pressure everyday...and send to doctor every seven days.
    And I have used weight apps before.
    I just go with my gut feeling on most things.:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Nathaniel Roswell

Nathaniel Roswell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wow thank you for the information Yvonne. I would also gladly suggest using a device for tracking seniors, the trackimo. Of course it also comes with a very user-friendly app. It updates you wherever you are at the moment and has a SOS button for emergency purposes.

4. Yvonne Smith

I can see where something like that would be a help with older people with memory problems, who might wander off somewhere and get lost. I have seen facebook alerts for elderly people who are lost and all they can offer is where that person was last seen.
    I have Find Friends on my iphone, so my family can always tell where I am at, and the Apple Watch also has an emergency button on it, so if I was alone and fell, or in some kind of an accident, all I have to do is hold the button down and it will call emergency for me.
    I think that I can also use SIRI to make emergency phone calls right from the watch, but I haven’t experimented with that kind of thing.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I am so sorry...hope you forgive me. I was not trying to be snippy.. I forget you have some medical issues that these apps help you with. :(

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

No apologies needed, @Gloria Mitchell ! I actually loved your answer........it was just so YOU.......and as I was laughing about it, I was reading it to Bobby because it was so funny.
    Not everything works for everyone, and we all need to do what works for us.
    I love swimming and when we go to the fitness center, I swim or do water exercises. Bobby uses the weights and machines and does bodybuilding exercises.
    If I had to do exercises on those machines, you would have to literally DRAG me to get me to the fitness center.

For me, being able to monitor what is going on with my body is important; but that does not mean that it is what everyone else needs to do. It is a wonderful thing that you are not needing to worry about monitoring your health, Gloria.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Thank you ....your very sweet.:)

8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The idea is a good one if they were accurate but they are not my wife has the apps on her phone we cross reference to FDA approved devices for sugar and heart rate and they were different. Even the iphone checked used two or three times give a different reading. It is a fun tool but not trust worthy

9. Yvonne Smith

Unless you are actually at the doctor’s office, you probably would not get totally accurate readings, that is true, @Martin Alonzo . However, I can get an overall picture of what my heart is doing, what nutrients I am getting from my diet, and how much exercise I am getting each day.
    Just the fact of keeping a record also helps me to keep on track, and try to be sure to get enough exercise and eat healthy foods as opposed to snacking on junk food.

10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne All I was saying it is a fun tool, My black bag has more stuff in it than any doctor I know some things like three different size blood pressure cuffs to measure blood pressure accurately. You can not use the same size cuff on a young child and a 400lb pound adult and get an accurate reading. Other things like a tuning fork to check for bone cracks and brakes but not as accurate as an x-ray but a fun tool.

11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I get pretty much the same readings at my drs office as I do on my apps and my at home BP cuff.

Checked everything earlier since I have a drs appt soon.

My scale is even in tune with the one at the drs office.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Was going to ask you how your visit last week to the fitness center turned out? Wasn't that your first time there, using your Medicare Advantage Plan SilverSneakers?

13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't like the place...too far and grungy.

Will check out Curves which is walking distance.

I wrote a post about it.

14. Nathaniel Roswell

Nathaniel Roswell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, it is indeed very useful just like you said. There are lots of people out there who have memory problems just like me.